Writing a Riemann Sum w/out Sumation signs

In summary, the problem requires calculating the integral of [(x^2)/4] − 7 on the interval [0, 4] using the definition of ∫a,b f(x) dx = lim (n → ∞) [(n ∑ i=1) (f(xi) ∆x)]. This involves finding the Riemann sum, denoted as Rn, which uses right-hand endpoints of sub-intervals. The relevant equations are n(n+1)(2n_1)/6 and (n(n+1))/2. The solution involves simplifying the Riemann sum formula to (32/(4n^3))((n(n+1)(2n+1))/6)-(64
REPharaoh

Homework Statement

In this problem you will calculate ∫0,4 ( [(x^2)/4] − 7) dx by using the definition

∫a,b f(x) dx = lim (n → ∞) [(n ∑ i=1) (f(xi) ∆x)]

The summation inside the brackets is Rn which is the Riemann sum where the sample points are chosen to be the right-hand endpoints of each sub-interval.

Calculate Rn for f(x) = (x^2)/4] − 7 on the interval [0, 4] and write your answer as a function of n without any summation signs.

Homework Equations

I guess the relevant equations are n(n+1)(2n_1)/6 and (n(n+1))/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I followed several guides on line and my solution comes up with the integral, however it is not correct when I submit it.

(32/(4n^3))((n(n+1)(2n+1))/6)-(64/(4n^3))(n(n+1)/2)+(32/(4n^3)(n))-((14/n)(n))

NOTE:

See attached files to make more sense of the problem.

Attachments

• definition.png
    definition.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 488
  • integral.png
    integral.png
    687 bytes · Views: 501
  • function.png
    function.png
    580 bytes · Views: 463
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution I should get is (32/(4n^3))((n(n+1)(2n+1))/6)-(64/(4n^3))(n(n+1)/2)+(32/(4n^3)(n))-((14/n)(n))+(56/n)

1. What is a Riemann Sum without Summation Signs?

A Riemann Sum without Summation Signs is a method of approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and adding up their individual areas. It is used in calculus to find the area under a curve when the function cannot be easily integrated.

2. How do you write a Riemann Sum without Summation Signs?

To write a Riemann Sum without Summation Signs, you first need to divide the interval of the curve into smaller subintervals. Then, you multiply the width of each subinterval by the height of the function at a specific point within that subinterval. Finally, you add up all the resulting values to get an approximation of the area under the curve.

3. What is the purpose of using a Riemann Sum without Summation Signs?

The purpose of using a Riemann Sum without Summation Signs is to approximate the area under a curve when the function cannot be easily integrated. It is also used in calculus to find the area between two curves and to calculate the volume of a solid with a curved base.

4. What are the limitations of using a Riemann Sum without Summation Signs?

A Riemann Sum without Summation Signs can only provide an approximation of the area under a curve, not the exact value. The accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of subintervals used and the shape of the curve. It also assumes that the function is continuous over the interval.

5. How is a Riemann Sum without Summation Signs different from a Riemann Sum with Summation Signs?

A Riemann Sum with Summation Signs uses the sigma notation to represent the addition of the individual areas of the rectangles, while a Riemann Sum without Summation Signs does not use this notation. Additionally, a Riemann Sum without Summation Signs can only be used for simple curves, while a Riemann Sum with Summation Signs can be used for more complex curves and functions.