1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing for funding!

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1
    So I got an admit at NCSU for PHD math finally. In fact, it was the only school I got an admit from. Unfortunately, (Yep you guessed it!) I did not land myself any sort of funding. They seemingly decide upon Teaching Assistantships once in a year, and that's that!
    So, my only option on getting my tuition paid is getting myself an RA. Do you think that is possible now that the decision for no funding is already made?
    How do I go about asking the Profs? Should I be open about it or do I tell them I'm just interested in learning more before I get there and then once I get there, I ask them about RA?

Thanks a ton for any sorta advice!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Usually RA-ships are more competitive than TA-ships. You can ask, but I wouldn't make any plans assuming that this would happen.

4. Apr 16, 2010 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

TA'ship at most schools are often given out each year. There's no "long term" contract here, so this is not unusual. Unless you really suck as a TA, I don't see this as being a problem for you to continue your graduate program being a TA.

RA'ship, as has been mentioned, are more difficult and contingent upon the fact that there is a faculty member with research funding. Since you said that you are just about to enter the graduate program, I would assume that you haven't passed your qualifier yet. No many faculty member would take on a student as an RA before you pass your qualifier.

I've already described in detailed the journey during the first couple of years of graduate school in my "So You Want To Be A Physicist". While it may not apply to you as a math major, I would think that many of the same principles might still be relevant.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook