1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing Hamiltonian in the basis

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex] H = \frac{2e^2}{\hbar^2 C} \hat{p^2} - \frac{\hbar}{2e} I_c cos\hat\theta [/itex],
    where [itex] [\hat\theta , \hat{p}] = i \hbar[/itex]
    How can we write the expression for the Hamiltonian in the basis [itex] |\theta> [/itex]
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have already solved most part of the question and this is just one part of it that I am not sure how to convert into the basis form.
    Is it that I just now need treat
    [itex] \hat{p}] = -i \hbar ∇ which is means that it is -i \hbar frac{\partial }{ \partial \theta}[/itex]
    and put
    [itex] H = \frac{2e^2}{C} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial\theta^2} - \frac{\hbar}{2e} I_c cos\hat\theta [/itex]
    then this is the final form??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Oct 25, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. ##\hat{p^2}=-i \hbar ∇(-i \hbar ∇) =-h^2 \Delta##. Use the Laplace operator written in spherical polar coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted