Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing in bed

1. Jul 3, 2015 #1
    Hi

I recently moved to a small apartment and no longer have a desk or table where I can do, for instance, homework. So, if I want to work, I have to do that in bed. I can usually find a comfortable way to use the laptop, or even read. However, whenever I have to write, I can never keep going for more than a minute.

Any recommendations?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2015 #2
  4. Jul 3, 2015 #3
    Is your apartment a closet? If you don't have room for a desk you probably need to manage your space better...

5. Jul 3, 2015 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't there a Salvation Army near you where you can buy a table or some makeshift desk ? Or, maybe a Murphy bed, which you fold when you are not using it?
    Or get yourself an astronaut pen -- but you may have to return it at some point :

6. Jul 4, 2015 #5
    There are a few places I can place a desk. However, they will block something; Either the closet or the book cabinet. Also, there is the television that I havent used for years since I do not have time for gaming. Selling it will probably clear up space for a desk.

Yes, I should try one as soon as I find a website that ships lap desks to Norway.

7. Jul 5, 2015 #6

phion

Gold Member

I use a clipboard in bed.

8. Jul 5, 2015 #7
    You won't be able to do this if you're not a bit of a handyman, but I once maximized the space usage of a very small room by building a loft bed and putting my desk and bookcase underneath. The bed was a small, twin size. I used a futon mattress.

The desk was actually a full sized old oak desk, and I made shallow book cases to fit three sides. They sat on the edges of the desk and went as high as the bottom of the bed frame. Access to the bed was via an ingeniously designed folding ladder that could be pushed up onto the bed when not in use. Such a folding ladder is not necessary, but the idea I had for it was too cool not to build.

Of course I was afraid of falling out of bed, not that I've ever done that in my life, but I didn't want my first time to be when I was sleeping 6 feet above the floor, so I put a railing on the bed. The railing had an opening to receive the ladder, and the opening was too small to fall out of.

If you're not handy with wood and tools, that won't help you, but you might, at least, consider getting a book case that will fit up on top of a small desk. Alternately, you might consider trying to convince your landlord to build the loft bed platform and leave it as a permanent installation in the room. It would make the room more desirable to future tenants.

9. Jul 6, 2015 #8

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

10. Jul 7, 2015 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

11. Jul 7, 2015 #10
    The nearest IKEA is within walking distance from where I live. However, the laptop is not the problem. I can sit quite comfortably and use the laptop. It is writing on paper that is the problem. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

12. Jul 7, 2015 #11

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I use it for that too (it is a hard flat surface after all), but I can imagine it is not ideal for everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook