Write Lagrangian Homework: Massless Support to Free Movement Along X-Axis

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a pendulum connected to a massless support and the process of finding the Lagrangian. It then considers how the Lagrangian would change if the support had mass and was free to move along the x-axis. The equation for kinetic energy is provided and it is suggested to add the kinetic energy of the support as a separate term. The speaker also expresses concern about potentially forgetting terms in the kinetic energy and asks for help with the problem.
mattmatt321

Homework Statement

I worked a textbook problem earlier where I had to write the Lagrangian for a pendulum (of mass m and length l) connected to a massless support moving along the x-axis. I chose the angle theta as my generalized coordinate, since the problem specified that the acceleration of the massless support was constant in the +x direction, the coordinate "theta" seemed to completely describe the system.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how the Lagrangian would change if the support was no longer massless, and if it was free to move along the x-axis, instead of at a constant acceleration in one direction.

Homework Equations

The potential energy stays the same, U = -mglcosθ.

The kinetic energy I found when the support was massless and at constant acceleration is (1/2)(m)(a2t2 - 2atlcosθ(dθ/dt) + l2(d2θ/dt2).

The Lagrangian is defined as L = T - U.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, now we have the support with mass M and the acceleration is no longer a constant "a". I considered just adding the mass M to m in the kinetic energy equation, but I think there's more to it. I suppose I need to incorporate both θ and the x location of the support to describe the system, but it's tricky to describe the kinetic energy fully. Any help is appreciated as always.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should add the kinetic energy of the support as a separate term:
[tex]
T = T_{\text{pend}} + T_{\text{sup}}
[/tex]

Thanks, that was my primary question. I'm always a little worried when I'm doing problems like this, that the different parts of the system are actually interacting with each other, and I'll forget term(s) in the kinetic energy.

1. What is a Lagrangian?

A Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system. It is used in classical mechanics to derive the equations of motion for a system, such as the motion of a particle or a collection of particles.

2. What does "massless support" mean in this context?

In this context, "massless support" refers to a system that is able to move freely along the x-axis without any external forces acting on it. This means that the system has no mass or weight, and therefore does not experience any gravitational or inertial forces.

3. What is the significance of "free movement" along the x-axis?

"Free movement" along the x-axis means that the system is able to move without any constraints or external forces acting on it in the horizontal direction. This allows for the system to move with constant velocity in the x-direction.

4. How is the Lagrangian used to describe this system?

The Lagrangian for a massless support to free movement along the x-axis system is a function of the system's kinetic energy and potential energy. It is used to derive the equations of motion for the system, which describe how the position and velocity of the system change over time.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this type of system?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of a system with massless support to free movement along the x-axis. One example is a frictionless cart on a horizontal track, where the cart is able to move without any resistance along the track. This can also be applied to systems in space, where objects can move freely in a zero-gravity environment.