Writing Metric in Matrix Form: Method?

In summary: What you are doing is really writing a matrix representation of the metric.If so, what about weirder ones with cross terms (i.e. values in the matrix that are not just along the diagonal ).Is there a standard formalism for doing this? I have tried searching but not sure I am using the correct terms to get the results I want, or if I do find stuff it uses a lot of notation that I am unfamiliar with.In general, the line element is given by$$ds^2 = g_{ab} dx^a dx^b.$$If you have the line element, just write out the sum and start identifying components (taking into account that the metric
ChrisJ
In ##c=1## units, from my SR courses I was told for example, that the Minkowski metric ## ds^2 = -dt^2 + dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 ## can be written in matrix form as the below..

[tex] \eta =
\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

And it was just kind of given to me, but now as I am trying to learn GR and practise more with weird and unusual metrics I find that I do not know a formalism for turning a given metric of the form ##ds^2 =##.. into a matrix form ##g = ## .

Am I correct in thinking that the following metric ##ds^2 = \frac{1}{y^2} dx^2 + \frac{1}{y^2}dy^2 ## is just simply..

[tex] g =
\begin{pmatrix}
y^{-2} & 0 \\
0 & y^{-2}
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

If so, what about weirder ones with cross terms (i.e. values in the matrix that are not just along the diagonal ).

Is there a standard formalism for doing this? I have tried searching but not sure I am using the correct terms to get the results I want, or if I do find stuff it uses a lot of notation that I am unfamiliar with.

Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisJ said:
Am I correct in thinking that the following metric ##ds^2 = \frac{1}{y^2} dx^2 + \frac{1}{y^2}dy^2 ## is just simply..

[tex] g =
\begin{pmatrix}
y^{-2} & 0 \\
0 & y^{-2}
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Yes. What you are doing is really writing a matrix representation of the metric.

If so, what about weirder ones with cross terms (i.e. values in the matrix that are not just along the diagonal ).

Is there a standard formalism for doing this? I have tried searching but not sure I am using the correct terms to get the results I want, or if I do find stuff it uses a lot of notation that I am unfamiliar with.

In general, the line element is given by
$$
ds^2 = g_{ab} dx^a dx^b.
$$
If you have the line element, just write out the sum and start identifying components (taking into account that the metric is symmetric so that ##g_{ab} = g_{ba}##. The matrix representation of the metric has the metric components ##g_{ab}## as its elements.

Edit: For example, consider the coordinates ##\xi = x-t## and ##\eta = x+t## in 2D Minkowski space (those are called light-cone coordinates. You would obtain that ##x = (\xi + \eta)/2## and ##t = (\eta-\xi)/2## and therefore
$$
ds^2 = -dt^2 + dx^2 = \frac{1}{4}[(d\xi + d\eta)^2 - (d\eta - d\xi)^2] = \frac{1}{2} d\xi \,d\eta
= g_{\xi\xi} d\xi^2 + 2 g_{\xi \eta} d\xi\, d\eta + g_{\eta\eta} d\eta^2.
$$
Identification directly gives ##g_{\xi\eta} = 1/4## and ##g_{\xi\xi} = g_{\eta\eta} = 0##.

Likes Ibix and ChrisJ
In tensor notation, ##ds^2=g_{ij}dx^idx^j##. If you want to use matrix notation for it (careful! Tensors are not matrices and the rules for multiplication are not the same), it's ##ds^2=\vec{dx}^T\mathbf{g}\vec{dx}##.

So your example is correct. Essentially, the coefficient of ##dx^idx^j## goes in the i,j position of the matrix representation of the tensor. The only trap for the unwary is that ##dx^idx^j=dx^jdx^i##, so for off-diagonal elements if you have ##ds^2=\ldots+2Adx^idx^j+\ldots## then you put ##A## in the position i,j and also A in j,i.

Likes ChrisJ
Ibix said:
In tensor notation, ##ds^2=g_{ij}dx^idx^j##. If you want to use matrix notation for it (careful! Tensors are not matrices and the rules for multiplication are not the same), it's ##ds^2=\vec{dx}^T\mathbf{g}\vec{dx}##.

So your example is correct. Essentially, the coefficient of ##dx^idx^j## goes in the i,j position of the matrix representation of the tensor. The only trap for the unwary is that ##dx^idx^j=dx^jdx^i##, so for off-diagonal elements if you have ##ds^2=\ldots+2Adx^idx^j+\ldots## then you put ##A## in the position i,j and also A in j,i.

Ok thanks both,

So, if I am understanding you both correct, something like ##ds^2 = -xdv^2 + 2dvdx## would be

[tex]
g = \begin{pmatrix} -x & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Likes Dale
Yes.

Likes ChrisJ

1. What is the purpose of writing metric in matrix form?

Writing metric in matrix form allows for easier manipulation and calculation of metric quantities. It also allows for a better understanding of the relationships between different variables in the metric.

2. How do you convert a metric equation into matrix form?

To convert a metric equation into matrix form, each variable is assigned to a position in a matrix and the coefficients of the variables are placed in the corresponding positions. The resulting matrix is then multiplied with the vector of variables to obtain the metric in matrix form.

3. What are the benefits of using matrix form for metric equations?

Using matrix form for metric equations allows for easier manipulation and calculation of the metric, as well as a better understanding of the relationships between different variables. It also allows for easier visualization of the metric, making it useful for solving complex problems.

4. Are there any limitations to using matrix form for metric equations?

One limitation of using matrix form for metric equations is that it may not be suitable for all types of equations. It also requires a good understanding of matrix operations and may be more time-consuming for simple equations.

5. Can matrix form be used for all types of metrics?

No, matrix form may not be suitable for all types of metrics. It is most commonly used for metrics involving distance, such as the Euclidean metric, but may not be suitable for metrics involving angle measurements.