Writing on PF: Exploring the [B] Phenomenon

• Thread starter epenguin
  • Start date
In summary, this phenomenon happens when I type B inside [] and gets b. It is uninteresting, but could drive some people crazy. There is no way to avoid it, but something needs to be done about it.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Writing

On this site and no other, when I type B inside [] I get .

I copied that from a thread where I wrote the above sentence.

Now let me write that sentence, well just the

Yes I wrote B capital and got b. If you press the quote and it comes out like on my screen you will see I am not fantasizing.

But not in the title. And not outside the []. This does not happen with [A]. Let me write a few more [C][D][M][X][Y][Z]. OK, it does not happen for X, Y, Z, so we can survive. But - yes it is still happening.

This phenomenon is very uninteresting. However it could drive some of the people who come here crazy.* Unless it happens only to me.* Otherwise I think something needs to be done.

*I am not crazy.**

**However if you are seeing different on your screen than I on mine, I might sound crazy.
I type B and if it is in square brackets I get b.
And I can't get round it by typing b in brackets - I get - i.e. b inside [].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

epenguin said:
On this site and no other, when I type B inside [] I get .

I copied that from a thread where I wrote the above sentence.

Now let me write that sentence, well just the

Yes I wrote B capital and got b. If you press the quote and it comes out like on my screen you will see I am not fantasizing.

But not in the title. And not outside the []. This does not happen with [A]. Let me write a few more [C][D][M][X][Y][Z]. OK, it does not happen for X, Y, Z, so we can survive. But - yes it is still happening.

This phenomenon is very uninteresting. However it could drive some of the people who come here crazy.* Unless it happens only to me.* Otherwise I think something needs to be done.

*I am not crazy.**

**However if you are seeing different on your screen than I on mine, I might sound crazy.
I type B and if it is in square brackets I get b.
And I can't get round it by typing b in brackets - I get - i.e. b inside [].
Perhaps because is the first part of bolding?

In the following tests, the . in the brackets are there just as dummies:

[.b]bold[/b] = bold
[.B]bold[/B] = bold
[.B]bold[/b] = bold
[.bold]bold[/bold] = [bold]bold[/bold]

[.b] =
[.B] =

That this happens to me, too, says nothing about your sanity or lack thereof.

Wow, seems there's no way around this actually.

You'd think putting the "noparse" tags ([noparse][noparse][/noparse][/noparse]) around it should work, but even then, it still changes the thing to lowercase. That's a bug.

Example:
[noparse]The 'B's here were written in uppercase[/noparse]

I don't see a problem with this. If you want to differentiate a "B" from a "b", use a different container such as the "" that I used here. Otherwise, you are going to invoke the bold function. There are a lot of container symbols available that don't trigger an automatic function: <>, (), ··, ”’, etc..

edit: Mentors—how the hell did we end up with another penguin here? I thought that we were still trying to assassinate the first one.

Last edited:

Some workarounds:

1. [itex][/itex] -> enclose in itex tags

2. [noparse][[/noparse]B] -> use noparse around some part of the 3-character string, not the entire thing

3. [B] -> other types of goofy tricks, this being a quick one - hit "quote" to see what I've done.

Note: Enclosing within code tags does not help.

Last edited:

epenguin said:
Danger what you say is all very well but [A] is supposed to represent the molarity of A.

I wasn't aware of that. Sorry. Good solutions, Gokul.

Gokul43201 said:
Some workarounds:

1. [itex][/itex] -> enclose in itex tags

2. [noparse][[/noparse]B] -> use noparse around some part of the 3-character string, not the entire thing

3. [B] -> other types of goofy tricks, this being a quick one - hit "quote" to see what I've done.

Note: Enclosing within code tags does not help.
Thank you. :smile: The first seems the one I am most likely to remember.

1. What is the purpose of writing on PF?

The purpose of writing on PF is to communicate scientific findings and ideas to a wider audience. This platform allows scientists to share their research and engage in discussions with other researchers and the general public.

2. How do I write an effective piece on PF?

To write an effective piece on PF, it is important to clearly state your main message and provide evidence to support your arguments. Use simple and concise language, and avoid jargon that may be difficult for non-experts to understand. Additionally, include visuals such as graphs or images to enhance the presentation of your ideas.

3. Can I publish my research on PF?

Yes, you can publish your research on PF. However, it is important to make sure that your research follows ethical guidelines and has been reviewed by peers before publishing it. Additionally, you should properly cite any sources used in your research.

4. Is there a specific format for writing on PF?

There is no specific format for writing on PF, but it is recommended to follow a clear and organized structure. This may include an introduction, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion. Additionally, make sure to include relevant headings and subheadings to guide the reader through your piece.

5. Can I edit my writing after it has been published on PF?

Yes, you can edit your writing after it has been published on PF. Simply log in to your account and make the necessary changes. However, it is important to note that any edits made after publication will be reflected in the version history of your piece.