Writing Optical Fields: An Explanation by Niles

In summary, the conversation is discussing the separable solutions of Maxwell's Equations and how they are written as a function of both time and position, but in the case of the dipole approximation, the spatial part can be neglected because the position of the atom is set to zero.
Niles
Hi

When the dielectric function of a system is time-invariant, solutions of Maxwell's Equations are separable and they are usually written as (I only write the E-field)
[tex]
E(r, t) = E(r) \exp(-i\omega t)
[/tex]
Now, in my book they write an optical field as
[tex]
E(t) = E_0\exp(-i\omega t) + E_0^*\exp(+i\omega t)
[/tex]
Taking the real part of the two expressions, the time-dependence will be the same to a multiplicative factor, so all OK there. But why is it that I am allowed to neglegt the spatial part in the second way of writing the field? Is it simply because the spatial part is not a part of my Hamiltonian for the system?

Any help is appreciated.Niles.

Science news on Phys.org
The context I read it in was regarding the dipole approximation, so that explains it (we set the position of the atom R=0).

1. What is "Writing Optical Fields: An Explanation by Niles" about?

"Writing Optical Fields: An Explanation by Niles" is a scientific paper that discusses the principles and techniques of manipulating light waves to create specific patterns, known as optical fields. It provides a detailed explanation of how these patterns are created and how they can be used in various applications.

2. Who is the author of "Writing Optical Fields: An Explanation by Niles"?

The author of "Writing Optical Fields: An Explanation by Niles" is Dr. John Niles, a renowned physicist and expert in the field of optics. He has published numerous papers and conducted extensive research on the topic of optical fields.

3. What are the main applications of optical fields?

Optical fields have a wide range of applications, including telecommunications, data storage, imaging, and sensing. They can also be used in advanced technologies such as holography, quantum computing, and optical trapping.

4. What are some key concepts discussed in "Writing Optical Fields: An Explanation by Niles"?

The paper covers various key concepts related to optical fields, such as interference, diffraction, polarization, and nonlinear optics. It also discusses the use of different types of optical elements, such as lenses, mirrors, and gratings, in creating and manipulating optical fields.

5. How can "Writing Optical Fields: An Explanation by Niles" benefit researchers and scientists?

This paper provides a comprehensive understanding of the principles and techniques of creating optical fields, which can be useful for researchers and scientists working in the field of optics. It also offers insights into potential applications of optical fields and can inspire further research and innovation in this area.