Defining Quantities and Units in Scientific Papers: How to Handle Unusual Forms?

In summary, the conversation is about defining quantities and their units in a lab report. The question is how to define a quantity that is not in its usual form (e.g. t2 instead of t). The conclusion is that t2 can be defined as either time (s2) or time2 (s2). However, it is agreed that once t is defined, t squared is also defined.
epsilon
I am writing a lab report as part of my degree and, of course, it must be in the standard scientific paper format.

I have come up against something that isn't particularly difficult but something that you must get correct for papers. I am defining quantities and their units, however I am not sure how to define the quantity when it is not in its usual form.

The situation is that normally you would say: t = time (s).
So how do you say t2?
Would it be: t2 = time (s2) OR t2 = time2 (s2)?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand. Once you have defined t, you have also defined t squared.

I agree with Vanadium 50. Define t, done.

1. What is the purpose of a scientific paper?

The purpose of a scientific paper is to communicate the results of a research study or experiment to the scientific community. It serves as a way for scientists to share their findings, methods, and conclusions with others in the field, and allows for the replication and further development of the research.

2. How do I structure a scientific paper?

A scientific paper typically follows a standard structure, including an introduction, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion. The introduction provides background information and context for the study, the methods section describes the procedures used, the results section presents the data and findings, the discussion section interprets the results and relates them to previous research, and the conclusion summarizes the main points and implications of the study.

3. What should I include in the methods section of a scientific paper?

The methods section should provide enough detail for another scientist to replicate the study. This includes a description of the research design, participants or subjects, materials or equipment used, and procedures followed. It should also address any potential limitations or sources of error in the study.

4. How do I choose a journal to submit my scientific paper to?

When selecting a journal to submit your scientific paper to, it is important to consider the scope and focus of the journal, the target audience, and the impact factor. You should also review the submission guidelines and formatting requirements to ensure your paper meets the journal's standards. Consulting with colleagues and mentors in your field can also help guide your decision.

5. How can I improve the clarity and readability of my scientific paper?

To improve the clarity and readability of your scientific paper, it is important to use clear and concise language, avoid jargon or technical terms that may be unfamiliar to readers, and provide sufficient detail and explanations for methods and results. It can also be helpful to have colleagues or mentors review your paper for clarity and provide feedback before submitting it for publication.