1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing solids

1. Oct 12, 2013 #1
    Q: Consider the solid that lies above the cone z=√(3x^2+3y^2) and below the sphere X^2+y^2+Z^2=36. It looks somewhat like an ice cream cone. Use spherical coordinates to write inequalities that describe this solid.

What I tried to do:
    I started by graphing this on a 3D graph at http://web.monroecc.edu/manila/webfiles/calcNSF/JavaCode/CalcPlot3D.htm now since this is a solid I thought that all I need to do was find the coordinates where the graphs intersect. Am I on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, but that's not much of a start. Pretty obviously the surfaces will intersect in a circle in some horizontal plane.

BTW, when you post a problem, don't delete the three parts of the homework template. They are required, and are there for a reason.

4. Oct 12, 2013 #3
    Thanks for correcting me. :)

The reason why I have this posted is because people I was working with had different ideas of what we where solving or how to solve it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted