1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing SQL queries

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    I just have a general question that I came up with while doing homework for my database class. I was asked to write a specific query, and when I checked my answer against the posted solutions, it was different. I don't know that much SQL (yet), but I'm pretty sure that my query would produce the result as the given solution. I'm thinking that the solution is just an optimized query. So my question is: Can you have two SQL queries that produce the same result, while one is more efficient/optimized than the other? I just want to know if I'm on the right track regarding the comparison between the two queries.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2009 #2
    Yes, very much so. Less fields you use to search your query, the faster it is. One query can uses "Select *..." and another query uses "Select `field`...". The one that retrieves the certain field, will run faster. There also can be other factors that deal with a run-time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook