1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing tensors in a different way?

1. Mar 3, 2005 #1
    Hi all,

I have 2 tensors of rank 2. I want to write their product in a way else than a matrix.

Or let's say, for example: how can I write the electic field in a form of matrix (tensor)?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What kind of a product?A simple tensor product,or a contracted tensor product...?Please,for our illumination,post the product of tensors in component form.

The electric field is a 3-vector and can be put under the form of a column:
    [tex] (\vec{E})^{i}=\left ( \begin{array}{c}E^{1}\\E^{2}\\E^{3}\end{array}\right ) [/tex]

Daniel.

4. Mar 3, 2005 #3
    I have a proof to do, starting from the covariant & contravariant field tensors (which are 4 X 4 matrices) & ending with E^2 & B^2.

I couldn't know where did those bold E & B come from? I mean how to transform the calculations from dealing with matrices to the bold symbols?

I think the E represents the electric field tensor. How is it written in form of a 4 X 4 matrix? I found different forms in different sites & couldn't know which one is right.

I hope I'm clear now.

Thanks

5. Mar 3, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Components of E & B are elements of the em tensor [tex] \hat{F}[/tex]...When u consider operations with theis tensor,u're making operation with the fields as well.E.g.The Lagrangian (density) of the em field is:
    [tex] \mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{4}F^{\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu} [/tex]... (in Heaviside-Lorentz units)

Consider all the terms in the summation & u'll end up with something ~(E^{2}-B^{2})...

Daniel.

6. Mar 3, 2005 #5
    How??

OK I've done the following:

Click here please

I noticed some notes about the elements of the resultant matrix but still couldn't complete!

I asked about the E & B to try to get them from this matrix.

Can you help?

just a hint please, I wanted to do it myself :smile: but I'm stuck at that point since few days :frown:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  7. Mar 3, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope,the double contraction MUST BE A LORENTZ SCALAR.That matrix form is highly useless.

Your calculus is included in any standard book on electrodynamics,as Jackson,maybe...
    I told you what to do:consider that sum and you'll get your answer.

Daniel.

8. Mar 9, 2005 #7
    Still couldn't understand how to do as you said (consider that sum and you'll get your answer).

I've got the book of Jackson, he went through it briefly & didn't explain the mathematical steps.

Can anyone please do it step by step with explaining in details? because I'm somehow new to tensors.

I will be thankful.

9. Mar 9, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do what,step by step...?The summation...?You can't add 16 terms...?

Daniel.

10. Mar 9, 2005 #9
    OF COURSE I CAN!!

But I didn't understand what do you mean? to add what?

Do you mean I have to add the 16 terms in the matrix?! What would that equals?

11. Mar 9, 2005 #10

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

add the terma together, you can't add scalars to a matrix.

edited to add you need to go back to your textbook and see exactly what [itex]F^{\mu}^{\nu}F_{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex] means.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  12. Mar 9, 2005 #11

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He knows what [tex] F^{\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu} [/tex] means.And that should equal the lagrangian density,what else...?

Daniel.

13. Mar 9, 2005 #12

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, but he seems unsure what the noataion represents mathematically.

14. Mar 9, 2005 #13

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are 16 terms in all,4 of which are 0.So the problem is even simpler.

Daniel.

15. Mar 9, 2005 #14

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One simpler (to me) way of looking at it is that [itex]F^{\mu}^{\nu}[/itex] are the compents of a vector in the (16 dimensional) vector space of tensors of type (2,0) and [itex]F_{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex] are the compoents of it's dual vector, so [itex]F^{\mu}^{\nu}F_{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex] is it's square norm.

16. Mar 9, 2005 #15
    If I know the answer I wouldn't ask!!

I didn't want you to give me the answer directly, I really wanted to understand becuase I tried reading in many books & sites but still didn't understand it. I didn't have any course in tensors & now I need to deal with it in a research.

If it looks simple for you dextercioby, it's not for me & that's why I asked!!

Thanks anyways.

jcsd, you are right (unsure what the noataion represents mathematically).

(add the terma together)

Do you mean that I should add the terms in the resultant matrix? What would the result represent?

Thank you.

17. Mar 9, 2005 #16

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What matrix are you talking about...?

Daniel.

18. Mar 14, 2005 #17
    The matrix that results from the multipication (see reply #5).

19. Mar 14, 2005 #18

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Physicist,

What dexter is trying to lead you to is the following:

[tex]
    F^{ \mu \nu } F_{ \mu \nu } = \sum _ { \mu = 1} ^ {4} \sum _ { \nu = 1} ^ {4} F^{\mu \nu} F_{\mu \nu}
    [/tex]

That is the Einstein summation convention. So, you let the indices [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\nu[/itex] each run from 1 to 4 in the double sum, and you should get your answer straightforwardly.

20. Mar 14, 2005 #19

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes it's the summation convention your missing physicist, remember that matrices are only (limited) representations of tensors,

21. Mar 14, 2005 #20

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Physicist, you're missing a couple of other things, too.

You need to know that, for any [itex]\mathbb {R} ^3[/itex] vector [itex]\mathbf {A} = A_x \mathbf {i} +A_y \mathbf {j} +A_z \mathbf {k}[/itex], we have:

[tex]\mathbf {A} ^2= \mathbf {A} \cdot \mathbf {A}= A_x^2+A_y^2+A_z^2[/tex]

The other thing you're missing is this issue of matrix multiplication. [itex]F^{\mu \nu }F_{\mu \nu }[/itex] does not mean that you are supposed to multiply the matrix representations of [itex]F[/itex] together. It means that you are supposed to sum over the indices, as I described in my last post. If you were supposed to do matrix multiplication, it would be written as follows:

[tex]
    F^{\mu \nu } F_{\nu \lambda }
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?