Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wrong corollary?

1. Feb 27, 2006 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

After stating the Weierstrass M-test for series of complex functions and the "[itex]f_n[/itex] continuous and uniformly convergeant to f on E ==> f continuous on E" thm, my teacher gives as a corollary that every power series [itex]\sum a_nz^n[/itex] is continuous on its disc of convergence D(0,R). And he doesn't give a proof, as if it's trivial.

But I think the corollary is wrong. Am I right in thinking so?

The convergence is absolute over all of D(0,R), but we only know for sure that the convergence is only uniform over [itex]\emptyset = \partial D(0,R) \cap U \subsetneq D(0,R)[/itex]. Hence, so is the continuity.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Corollary: A power series is continuous on its disc of convergence.
    Proof: On its disk, it converges absolutely and uniformly. In particular, it converges uniformly. What does it mean for a power series to converge uniformly? It means that the sequence of partial sums, as a sequence of functions, converges uniformly to the infinite sum. Each of these partial sums is a polynomial, hence continuous. So this sequence of polynomials is continuous and converges uniformly to the infinite series on the series' disk of convergence. Hence, on that disk, the power series is continuous, by the theorem.

It seems you're getting confused about the ideas of uniform continuity of a (single) function, uniform convergence of a sequence of functions, and uniform convergence of a power series (which is a particular case of a sequence of functions being uniformly convergent).

4. Feb 27, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Erm. As far as I know (i.e. according to what my book says and to what the teacher wrote on the blackboard), the convergence is only uniform on a closed disk [itex]\overline{D}(0,r)[/itex] of radius 0<r<R*. Not on the whole D(0,R). Is this not true?

*I wrote this in a very complicated manner in the original post.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  5. Feb 27, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Bit- given any point, p, in the disk of convergence, of radius R, there exist an r< R so that the point is inside the closed disk of radius r. Since convergence is uniform inside that closed disk, the function is continuous at p and therefore continous on the entire (open) disk.

6. Feb 27, 2006 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see. Thanks Halls.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?