Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wrong R-Squared value?

1. Nov 14, 2007 #1
    wrong R-Squared value??

Hi all,

Warning: this is my very first post :)

I'm doing a linear regression to produce a trendline that can predict (more or less) some future data. The data is very correlated (something like R=0.98).

This is what I do:
    1) get 200 data points (x is a time series; y is CPU usage)
    2) do linear regression based on those 200 points, resulting in some y'=a + bx
    3) get R-squared (R^2=0.96) for the y'

Then, I want to validate that trendline/prediction by comparing it with more real data:
    4) get more data points, past the 200 points (eg 10000)
    5) get R-squared for the y' (this time against the new data)

The problem is that this new R-squared has very strange values (depending on the equation), either <0 (SSE/SST>1), >1 (SSR>SST), or near 0,99 (when in fact the trendline is not accurate).
    Has I said I have already tried different ways of calculating the R-squared. They all give the same value in 3), but strange values in 5).

Am I doing some wrong assumption here? I pretty sure the calculations are correct... How can I validate my trendlines (linear regression models)?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you re-estimating y' with the new data? If not, how are you calculating the R2 with the new data?

4. Nov 14, 2007 #3
    No, it's the same y' (estimated from the first 200 data points). From your question I suspect I cannot calculate R-squared from a different sample that the one used for y'.

What I really want is to get a statistical measure of the prediction accuracy (maybe R-squared?) of y' for the new data (which is actually all the data that y' is supposed to predict). Which is the graphical counterpart of plotting the new data and its prediction (y'), and see how good they match.

5. Nov 16, 2007 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?