Integrating e^3x / (e^x+e^2x) using Variation of Parameters

• Thread starter Gogeta007
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a difficult Differential Equations homework problem involving the equation y''+3y'+2y = 1/(1+ex) and the use of variation of parameters. The attempt at a solution involves finding the complementary equation and using the Wronskian to find u, but there is difficulty in integrating e^3x / (e^x+e^2x). The conversation ends with suggestions of trying integration by parts or substituting u=e^x.
Gogeta007
Im doing my Differential Equation's homework, and I've come across some really hard problems, when it got really complicated I tuoght i was wrong (you know book's problems tend to workout nicely) . . .anyways I got REALLY stuck on this one if anyone can guide me thank you

Homework Statement

y''+3y'+2y = 1/(1+ex)

Homework Equations

Use variation of parameters (the chapter is about wronskians)

The Attempt at a Solution

first we find the complementary equation using the auxiliary equation (m2+3m+2) and find that
yc=c1e-2x + c2e-x

therefore y_1=e^-2x and y_2=e^-x

then we use the Wronskian of
| y_1 y_2 |
| y'_1 y'_2 | = -e^-3x - ( -2e^-3x) therefore W= e^-3x

W_1= using f(x) = 1/(1+e^x)

| 0 y_2 |
| f(x) y'_2 | = 1 / (e^x+e^2x) = u'

to find yp=u1y1 + u2y2

the problem is finding u, since the u' = W_1/W . . .which would yield

e^3x / (e^x+e^2x)

I would have to integrate that, I can't find anyway to do it, I tried integration by parts and partial fraction decomposition.
I was thinking of looking it up in an integration table. But since its a problem from the book (and the book doesn't have an integration table) I don't think the book is THAT demanding as into go look it up in another book.
Im thinking maybe I am doing something wrong. . .

==
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

e^3x / (e^x+e^2x) is basically e^2x/(1+e^x), right?

did you try integration by parts ?
or first do u=e^x
and see if it helps

1. What is a Wronskian equation?

A Wronskian equation is a mathematical tool used to determine whether a set of functions is linearly independent or dependent. It involves calculating the determinant of a matrix composed of the functions and their derivatives.

2. How do I calculate a Wronskian equation?

To calculate a Wronskian equation, you first need to write out the functions and their derivatives in a matrix. Then, take the determinant of the matrix. If the determinant is equal to zero, the functions are linearly dependent. If the determinant is not equal to zero, the functions are linearly independent.

3. What is the significance of a Wronskian equation?

The Wronskian equation is significant because it is used to determine the linear independence or dependence of a set of functions. This information is important in many areas of mathematics, including differential equations and linear algebra.

4. Can a Wronskian equation be used for more than two functions?

Yes, a Wronskian equation can be used for any number of functions. The matrix used to calculate the determinant will simply have more rows and columns for each additional function.

5. Are there any limitations to using Wronskian equations?

Wronskian equations are limited to only determining the linear independence or dependence of functions. They cannot be used for other types of relationships between functions, such as orthogonality or continuity. Additionally, they may not always be applicable to nonlinear functions.