Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

WTF is the word

  1. Apr 4, 2009 #1
    WTF is the word....

    I've been racking my brain for a few days trying to think of the word that means "the use of pre-existing research in a research paper". I've attempted to Google and interrogated a few different teachers but they can't seem to get away from either "theory" or "anecdotal".

    I know it's similar to anecdotal but it's not unreliable as the conclusions being drawn from analyzing the research. Whereas in anecdotal research, the conclusions are drawn from the combining of dissimilar conclusions into one conclusion to benefit the paper.

    If it helps, I remember using the word when I was a psychology major over 5 years ago. I wish I could remember what the word is.. please help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2009 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Re: WTF is the word....

    Meta study?

    ...also known as http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Meta+study" [Broken]...
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Apr 4, 2009 #3
    Re: WTF is the word....

    Thanks! I can't believe my awesome Google searching skills failed me... I must be getting rusty. :blushing:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook