Solving (x^2)^y on TI-89 Titanium

• Thread starter 2Xist
  • Start date
TI-89 titanium calculator's power law in exponents. When inserting (x^2)^2, the calculator correctly simplifies it to x^4. However, when inserting (x^2)^y, the calculator returns the same expression instead of simplifying it to x^2y. Even Mathematica has the same issue. The problem may be due to the calculator not knowing if x and y belong to the real or complex set. K.J.Healey clarifies that the calculator is not faulty, but it cannot simplify the expression without more information about x and y. In summary, the TI-89 titanium calculator correctly follows the power law in exponents, but cannot simplify expressions involving variables without more information about
2Xist
Hi,

again as usual, i unfortunally have another question about the ti-89 titanum
when i insert (x^2)^2 i get x^4 (due to the power law in expoents) but when i insert (x^2)^y i get the same answer back, (x^2)^y. what i think the answer should be is x^2y but i donno what's wrong.

Please try on your own calculators and reply results

thanks again

Computer science news on Phys.org
Even mathematica does it.
Perhaps it has something to do with the calculator not knowing if x or y belong to the real or complex set.

so.. ur saying my cal is fked up?

No, K.J.Healey is saying the calculator cannot simplify your expression further unless you tell it more about what x and y are.

- Warren

1. How do I enter (x^2)^y on my TI-89 Titanium?

To enter (x^2)^y on your TI-89 Titanium, use the caret (^) symbol for exponentiation. Type in "x^2^y" and press enter. The calculator will automatically apply the exponent rules to solve the expression.

2. What do I do if I get an error when trying to solve (x^2)^y?

If you get an error when trying to solve (x^2)^y, check to make sure you have entered the expression correctly. Make sure there are parentheses around the x^2 to indicate that the entire expression is being raised to the power of y. Also, make sure you are using the correct syntax for the caret symbol (^) and not the multiplication symbol (*).

3. Can I solve (x^2)^y for different values of x and y on my TI-89 Titanium?

Yes, you can solve (x^2)^y for different values of x and y on your TI-89 Titanium. Simply enter the expression as "x^2^y" and use the "solve" function to plug in different values for x and y. The calculator will then solve the expression and give you the result.

4. How do I graph (x^2)^y on my TI-89 Titanium?

To graph (x^2)^y on your TI-89 Titanium, enter the expression as "x^2^y" and then press the "graph" button. The calculator will plot the graph and you can adjust the window and zoom to see different parts of the graph.

5. What are the possible solutions for (x^2)^y?

The solutions for (x^2)^y will depend on the values of x and y. If x is a positive number, then the graph of (x^2)^y will be a curve that increases from left to right. If x is a negative number, then the graph will be a curve that decreases from left to right. The values of y will determine how steep or shallow the curve is. If y is a positive number, the curve will be steeper, and if y is a negative number, the curve will be flatter.