Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

WW2 was acceptable

1. Sep 15, 2004 #1
    It has become clear to me that several users here have double standards. Some have asserted that blowing up and burning hundreds of thousands of civilians in WW2 was acceptable because it would have the effect of hampering the German and Japanese military efforts. These same people then suggest that it is not acceptable when other people do precisely the same thing to their own nation (eg. WTC attack). However, after labelling these two nigh-identical crimes differently (one as a crime, one not), these same users then go on to say that it is indeed acceptable to attack military targets when civilians are in the way, and such attacks are not terrorism. Why? Because the civilians in the way, though they are in their own towns, their own homes, should know that the target placed in their midst by the attacking force is a viable military target.

How do people reconcile this pure hypocrisy, this monumental stupidity?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Again, unless you can give quotes, you have nothing to support your assertion. You're putting words in my mouth I didn't say. Stop lying about me.

Further, you are altering the scenario from the incident in question: stop lying about that too.
    Yes, while you're at it, you may as well throw in some pesonal attacks as well to further clarify your position.

For your basic point though, the only double standard here is yours. You said in one thread that 9/11 was acceptable and said in another that no civilian casualties are acceptable. edit: rereading, you actually have a triple standard going. You are arguing a position you have not explicitly said you believe by putting words in other people's mouths they didn't say, then arguing against the point no one made, then supporting that position with lies, then contradicting yourself.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  4. Sep 15, 2004 #3
    I've never said any terrorist attack was acceptable. I have said that it is the position others have adopted.

Now, would you care to address the topic?

5. Sep 15, 2004 #4

russ_watters

Yes, that's correct (and thats what I said above): you lie about other people's positions in order to argue a position without explicitly stating its your opinion. Then you support your position with lies about the facts of the incidents.

As I have stated a number of times before, Adam, if it is ever your wish to engage in honest debate, the choice is yours. The people you are arguing against, by and large, are very open, honest, and explicit about their positions. You argue your position by negation of strawman.
    The purpose of this thread is trolling/flame baiting/personal attacks and no, I will not participate in that. I'm finished here too.

6. Sep 15, 2004 #5
    Selected quotes:

7. Sep 15, 2004 #6

Evo

It appears this thread is directed at a single person, this is inappropriate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?