Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

WxMaxima draw2d switch Y-axis value range

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1

mzu

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help. I was some pretty simple code to make a H-R Diagram in wxMaxima. The Absolute magnitude on the H-R Diagram should go from 20 to -15. wxMaxima only allows me enter the Y-axis range from -15 to 20 so the values on this axis are the other way around. I can draw the diagram from -15 to 20 and then go into the GNU Plot command line and change the values from 20 to -15 and re-plot from within GNU Plot. I was wondering if it possible to do this from wxMaxima directly so I don't have to change this afterwards all the time. I hope the explanation is a little clear. Here is the code:

Stars: [[0.63,4.8],[0,1.4],[0.15,-2.5],[1.23,0.2],[0.71,4.4]];

load(draw);

draw2d(
    xrange=[-0.3,2.2],
    yrange=[-15,20],
    points(data),

title = "HR Diagram",
    xlabel = "B-V",
    ylabel = "Absolute Magnitude");

As you can see the yrange goes from -15 to 20. If I enter 20,-15 I get an illegal error. Most of the times it is correct to have the yrange from min to max but on the H-R Diagram it has to be the other way around. Again, this can be done in the GNU Plot command line but I was wondering if this can be done from wxMaxima directly.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Michael

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted