Understanding the Equivalence of Circuits: The Role of Total Resistance

In summary, the wye-delta transformation formula states that for two circuits to be equivalent, the total resistance between any two terminals must be the same. This condition ensures that the input/output currents for a given voltage are also the same, thus proving the equivalence of the circuits.
arpon
To prove the wye-delta transformation formula, it is said 'If the two circuits are to be equivalent,
the total resistance between any two terminals must be the same.' But why ? I can't convince myself that it is sufficient condition for the equivalence of circuits.

Physics news on Phys.org
arpon said:
To prove the wye-delta transformation formula, it is said 'If the two circuits are to be equivalent,
the total resistance between any two terminals must be the same.' But why ? I can't convince myself that it is sufficient condition for the equivalence of circuits.

In order to input/output currents for given voltage be the same. What else did you expect to mean by the equivalence of the circuits?

What is the Wye-Delta transformation?

The Wye-Delta transformation is a technique used in circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits consisting of resistors and voltage sources. It involves converting a circuit with delta-connected resistors to an equivalent circuit with wye-connected resistors, or vice versa.

When is the Wye-Delta transformation used?

The Wye-Delta transformation is used when analyzing three-phase power systems and in situations where a circuit contains both wye and delta connections. It allows for easier analysis of the circuit and can help in determining the total resistance or voltage of the circuit.

How is the Wye-Delta transformation performed?

To perform the Wye-Delta transformation, the delta-connected resistors are first converted to wye-connected resistors by finding the equivalent resistance between two terminals. Then, the wye-connected resistors are converted to delta-connected resistors by finding the equivalent resistance between three terminals.

What are the advantages of using the Wye-Delta transformation?

The Wye-Delta transformation allows for the simplification of complex circuits, making it easier to analyze and solve. It also helps in reducing the number of calculations needed and can provide a more accurate representation of the circuit's behavior.

Are there any limitations to using the Wye-Delta transformation?

The Wye-Delta transformation is only applicable to circuits with balanced loads, meaning that the resistors in the circuit must have the same values. It also cannot be used on circuits with non-linear elements, such as capacitors and inductors.