1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X/0 and a possible explanation of a solution

1. Aug 27, 2003 #1
    First, let me say that I have degrees or anything. I'm just out of hig school and took regular math the whole time I was there. I am not a mathematician or a numerologist.

But, I do have a theory.:wink:

Could we say that 6/3 is the same as saying "six divided into three equal parts"?

If so, would 6/0 be the same as saying "six divided into zero equal parts"?

Since a nonexisting thing cannot have a numerical value, wouldn't 6/0=0?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2003 #2

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sorry it's just not that simple, you can define y in y = x/n as the number of sets containing n units that are needed to be added together to make up x.

Also for example n(x/n) = x, but now you have 0*(0) = x which doesn't fit with this for any value of x other than 0, or another example y = x/n as n tends to 0, y tends to infinity. Therefore x/0 is undefined.

4. Aug 27, 2003 #3
    a(b)=c so c/b=a

How does 3(0)=0? You cannot say that 0/0=3.

I was always told that any number times zero equalled zero.

5. Aug 27, 2003 #4

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That example was just to show you why having x/0 = 0 leads to inconsistencies, 0*0 = 0.

6. Aug 27, 2003 #5
    Hmmm. There has to be a better answer than undefined. Don't know why, but it just doesn't seem right. Maybe someday . . .

7. Aug 27, 2003 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

1)"Since a nonexisting thing cannot have a numerical value, wouldn't 6/0=0?"

Are you saying that 0 is not a number?

2)"I was always told that any number times zero equalled zero."

Yes, that's exactly WHY 6/0 cannot be 0: 0*0 is not equal to 6.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?