What Are the Solutions to the Equation x² + 1 ≡ 0 (mod 5³)?

• Thread starter brute26
  • Start date
In summary, to solve the problem x^2 + 1 == 0 (mod 5^3), you can reduce it to x^2 + 1 == 0 (mod 5) and find solutions for x by using the form y+25n, where 0<=n<5 and 0<=y<25. You can then use the method of setting x as 1/2 * root 4(125t-1).
brute26
How would i start to solve this problem?

x^2 + 1 == 0 (mod 5^3).

Find all solutions.

How do i know how many solutions there are? If i reduce it to
x^2 + 1 == 0 (mod 5), i get that x= 2,3,7,8,12, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
All solutions of the latter will not be solutions of the former.

If 0<=x<125 is a root of [itex]x^2 +1 \equiv 0 (mod~ 5^3) [/itex] then x satisfies [itex]x^2 +1 \equiv 0 (mod~ 5^2) [/itex] and is of the form y+25n, 0<=n<5, 0<=y<25.

Clearly y=7, 18 works.

Also since these do not satisfy[itex]f'(y) = 2y \equiv 0 (mod~ p) [/itex] , there is only one n, which will give you the principal roots 57 and 68.

I've left some gaps for you to figure out and fill.

Last edited:
How about this method?
[itex] x^2+1=125t (t:+ integer) [/itex]
[itex]x=1/2* root 4(125t-1) [/itex]

Last edited:

1. What does the equation "X^2 + 1 = 0 (mod 5^3)" mean?

This equation is a congruence equation, meaning it is a way to express equivalence between two numbers. The "mod" in the equation stands for modulus, which represents the remainder when dividing by the number after it. In this case, the equation is stating that when you divide X^2 + 1 by 5^3, the remainder is 0.

2. What is the solution to the equation "X^2 + 1 = 0 (mod 5^3)"?

The solution to this equation is any value of X that satisfies the congruence relationship with 0 when divided by 5^3. In other words, any X value that when squared and added to 1, is a multiple of 5^3, or 125.

3. Can this equation have more than one solution?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions. Since the modulus is 5^3, there are 125 possible remainders when dividing by 5^3, and each of these remainders can be a solution to the equation.

4. How can this equation be solved?

This equation can be solved by substituting different values for X and checking if the resulting expression is a multiple of 5^3. Another way to solve it is by using modular arithmetic, where you manipulate the equation to isolate X and find a solution that satisfies the congruence relationship.

5. What is the significance of "mod 5^3" in this equation?

The "mod 5^3" in this equation is the modulus, which determines the range of possible solutions. In this case, the modulus 5^3 means that the solutions will be multiples of 125. It also allows for a finite number of solutions, as there are only 125 possible remainders when dividing by 5^3.