1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I X^2 graph

1. Mar 31, 2017 #1
    Hello,

If I have an x^2 graph that goes from 0 to a point a. Is there a general solution to where the area of the left side is equal to the area of the right?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2017 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

I do not fully understand your question I believe.

Because ##f(x) = x^2## is symmetric relative to the ##y##-axis, the area between the curve and the ##x##-axis in the interval ##[-a,0]## is equal to the area under the curve and the ##x##-axis in the interval ##[0,a]##

In integral terms:

##\int\limits_0^a x^2 dx = \int\limits_{-a}^{0} x^2 dx ##

4. Mar 31, 2017 #3

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

On the left side of what?

With integrals that should be easy to do.

5. Mar 31, 2017 #4
    I want to cut the graph in two. And yeah, the integral of the left piece should be equal the integral of the right.

I think I solved it and got 2/3 b^3 = 1/3 c^3.
    This is if I take the integral from 0 to c, then b will be the center. I was wondering if this works as a general solution?

6. Mar 31, 2017 #5

mfb

2017 Award

For some interpretation of the areas you consider, that works as general solution.

7. Mar 31, 2017 #6

Mark44

It would be helpful if you stated the problem more clearly. Here is what I think you were trying to say.

Find a point in the interval [0, a] that divides the area under the graph of ##y = x^2## and above the x axis into two equal parts. In other words, find c for with ##\int_0^c x^2 dx = \int_c^a x^2 dx##.​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted