Finding Area of Graphs with x^2: A General Solution?

In summary: This can be solved by setting up and solving the appropriate integral equation, as you did. In summary, the problem is to find a point in the interval [0, a] that divides the area under the graph of ##y = x^2## and above the x-axis into two equal parts.
Brage Eidsvik
Hello,

If I have an x^2 graph that goes from 0 to a point a. Is there a general solution to where the area of the left side is equal to the area of the right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I do not fully understand your question I believe.

Because ##f(x) = x^2## is symmetric relative to the ##y##-axis, the area between the curve and the ##x##-axis in the interval ##[-a,0]## is equal to the area under the curve and the ##x##-axis in the interval ##[0,a]##

In integral terms:

##\int\limits_0^a x^2 dx = \int\limits_{-a}^{0} x^2 dx ##

On the left side of what?

With integrals that should be easy to do.

mfb said:
On the left side of what?

With integrals that should be easy to do.

I want to cut the graph in two. And yeah, the integral of the left piece should be equal the integral of the right.

I think I solved it and got 2/3 b^3 = 1/3 c^3.
This is if I take the integral from 0 to c, then b will be the center. I was wondering if this works as a general solution?

For some interpretation of the areas you consider, that works as general solution.

Likes Brage Eidsvik
Brage Eidsvik said:
If I have an x^2 graph that goes from 0 to a point a. Is there a general solution to where the area of the left side is equal to the area of the right?
It would be helpful if you stated the problem more clearly. Here is what I think you were trying to say.

Find a point in the interval [0, a] that divides the area under the graph of ##y = x^2## and above the x-axis into two equal parts. In other words, find c for with ##\int_0^c x^2 dx = \int_c^a x^2 dx##.​

1. How do you find the area of a graph with x^2?

The general solution for finding the area under a curve with x^2 involves using the definite integral. This involves breaking the curve into smaller sections, finding the area of each section, and then adding them together to get the total area.

2. What is the formula for finding the area under a graph with x^2?

The formula for finding the area under a graph with x^2 is ∫x^2 dx, where ∫ represents the integral symbol and dx represents the differential of x. This formula can be modified to find the area between two specific points on the graph by changing the limits of integration.

3. Can the area under a graph with x^2 be negative?

Yes, the area under a graph with x^2 can be negative if the curve dips below the x-axis. In this case, the area is considered negative because it is below the x-axis, but the absolute value of the area is still the same.

4. How does the width of the sections affect the accuracy of the area calculation?

The smaller the width of the sections used to calculate the area, the more accurate the result will be. This is because smaller sections allow for a more precise measurement of the curve, resulting in a more accurate total area calculation.

5. Can the area under a graph with x^2 be calculated without using calculus?

No, the area under a graph with x^2 cannot be calculated without using calculus. The definite integral is the only method for finding the exact area under a curve, and it requires the use of calculus principles. However, an estimate of the area can be found using numerical integration methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.