Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I X^2 graph

1. Mar 31, 2017 #1
    Hello,

If I have an x^2 graph that goes from 0 to a point a. Is there a general solution to where the area of the left side is equal to the area of the right?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2017 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

I do not fully understand your question I believe.

Because ##f(x) = x^2## is symmetric relative to the ##y##-axis, the area between the curve and the ##x##-axis in the interval ##[-a,0]## is equal to the area under the curve and the ##x##-axis in the interval ##[0,a]##

In integral terms:

##\int\limits_0^a x^2 dx = \int\limits_{-a}^{0} x^2 dx ##

4. Mar 31, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

On the left side of what?

With integrals that should be easy to do.

5. Mar 31, 2017 #4
    I want to cut the graph in two. And yeah, the integral of the left piece should be equal the integral of the right.

I think I solved it and got 2/3 b^3 = 1/3 c^3.
    This is if I take the integral from 0 to c, then b will be the center. I was wondering if this works as a general solution?

6. Mar 31, 2017 #5

mfb

2016 Award

For some interpretation of the areas you consider, that works as general solution.

7. Mar 31, 2017 #6

Mark44

It would be helpful if you stated the problem more clearly. Here is what I think you were trying to say.

Find a point in the interval [0, a] that divides the area under the graph of ##y = x^2## and above the x axis into two equal parts. In other words, find c for with ##\int_0^c x^2 dx = \int_c^a x^2 dx##.​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted