1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X^2+x + lnx

1. Dec 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So I have happily exploring function when I got to the equation 0 = 1/2(e^(2x))-(e+1)(e^x) +ex.

2. Relevant equations

Well, I guess the quadratic formula can help, although I can't seem to get to a situation where I can use it.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I played around until I got to t^2-(2e+2)t+2eln(t) where t=e^x. But I seem to always get stuck with that ex, which does not let me factor the e^x.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2012 #2
    Re: x^2+x+lnx

What's your problem? What are you trying to do with this function?

Sorry, now I see that you're trying to solve an equation...

4. Dec 10, 2012 #3

All I can offer is an approximation, x = 1.75566566912961...

5. Dec 10, 2012 #4

But how would you find it?

6. Dec 10, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to solve the equation f(x) = x^2 + x + ln(x) = 0 numerically. There is a vast literature on this, but basically, you first need to isolate a region in which the root lies, then try to narrow it down. If you can, you should plot the graph y = f(x) first, to see roughly where the roots of f(x) are located. Then there are numerous "correction" methods available to get better accuracy; just Google 'root finding' to see lots of relevant methods. For example, look at http://www.efunda.com/math/num_rootfinding/num_rootfinding.cfm

7. Dec 10, 2012 #6
  8. Dec 10, 2012 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's what I would do too, but I would use Maple. The solution of the equation ##0 = x^2 + x + \ln(x)## is approximately .4858388639605664330809376128591963662449, and is nowhere near the value 1.755... that you wrote. If you plot f(x) = x^2 +x +ln(x) on [0.001,6] you will see there is just one root, and it is near x = 1/2. Were you working with the other function
    [tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2} e^{2x} - (e+1)e^x + ex ?[/tex] That does, indeed, have a root near 1.75.

9. Dec 10, 2012 #8

When I posted the approximation 1.75..., "the other function" was what seemed the main goal of this thread. "Were you working" seems a little exaggerated though, since I did no more than type a function definition into one text box and copy a number from another.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook