Solving 0=1/2(e^(2x))-(e+1)(e^x)+ex

• Thread starter Bonaparte
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a function with an equation that involves a quadratic formula. The attempt at a solution includes playing around with the equation and using a website to approximate the solution. Suggestions are given for finding the solution numerically, such as isolating the region where the root lies and using correction methods. It is also mentioned that there may be confusion between two different functions.
Bonaparte

Homework Statement

So I have happily exploring function when I got to the equation 0 = 1/2(e^(2x))-(e+1)(e^x) +ex.

Homework Equations

Well, I guess the quadratic formula can help, although I can't seem to get to a situation where I can use it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I played around until I got to t^2-(2e+2)t+2eln(t) where t=e^x. But I seem to always get stuck with that ex, which does not let me factor the e^x.

Physics news on Phys.org

What's your problem? What are you trying to do with this function?

Sorry, now I see that you're trying to solve an equation...

All I can offer is an approximation, x = 1.75566566912961...

But how would you find it?

Bonaparte said:
But how would you find it?

You need to solve the equation f(x) = x^2 + x + ln(x) = 0 numerically. There is a vast literature on this, but basically, you first need to isolate a region in which the root lies, then try to narrow it down. If you can, you should plot the graph y = f(x) first, to see roughly where the roots of f(x) are located. Then there are numerous "correction" methods available to get better accuracy; just Google 'root finding' to see lots of relevant methods. For example, look at http://www.efunda.com/math/num_rootfinding/num_rootfinding.cfm

Michael Redei said:
I just let this thing do the work for me: http://www.wolframalpha.com/

That's what I would do too, but I would use Maple. The solution of the equation ##0 = x^2 + x + \ln(x)## is approximately .4858388639605664330809376128591963662449, and is nowhere near the value 1.755... that you wrote. If you plot f(x) = x^2 +x +ln(x) on [0.001,6] you will see there is just one root, and it is near x = 1/2. Were you working with the other function
[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2} e^{2x} - (e+1)e^x + ex ?[/tex] That does, indeed, have a root near 1.75.

Ray Vickson said:
Were you working with the other function
[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2} e^{2x} - (e+1)e^x + ex ?[/tex] That does, indeed, have a root near 1.75.

When I posted the approximation 1.75..., "the other function" was what seemed the main goal of this thread. "Were you working" seems a little exaggerated though, since I did no more than type a function definition into one text box and copy a number from another.

1. How do you solve the equation 0=1/2(e^(2x))-(e+1)(e^x)+ex?

To solve this equation, you can start by factoring out the common factor of e^x. This will result in the equation 0=e^x(1/2e^x-e-e+ex). Then, you can use the quadratic formula to solve for e^x. Once you have the value of e^x, you can plug it back into the original equation to solve for x.

2. Can this equation be solved without using the quadratic formula?

Yes, this equation can also be solved by using substitution. You can let y = e^x and then rewrite the equation as 0=1/2y^2-(e+1)y+xy. From there, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring or completing the square to solve for y. Once you have the value of y, you can plug it back into the equation to solve for x.

3. Is there more than one solution to this equation?

Yes, this equation has two solutions. The quadratic formula will give you two solutions, and substitution will also give you two solutions. However, these solutions may be complex numbers.

4. How do you know if your solution to this equation is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator to graph the left and right sides of the equation and see where they intersect, which will give you the solutions.

5. Can this equation be solved by hand or do I need a calculator?

This equation can be solved by hand, but it may be easier to use a calculator, especially for solving the quadratic equation. However, if you are comfortable with algebraic techniques and factoring, you can solve this equation without a calculator.