1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X^2y+y^2x >6 inequality

1. May 28, 2010 #1
    For what values of x and , y is the following inequality satisfied:

[tex]x^2y+y^2x >6[/tex]

I tried to give a proof and i went as far:

xy(x+y)>6 then what?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: inequality

The best way to handle complicated inequalities is to look first at the associated equality. Here, we start by looking at [tex]x^2y+ y^2x= 6[/itex]. You can think of that as a quadratic equation in y and solve using the quadratic formula:
    [tex]y= \frac{-x^2\pm\sqrt{x^4+ 24x}}{2x}[/tex]

Graph that on, say, a graphing calculator and it shows the boundary between "> 6" and "< 6". Putting in one (x, y) point for each region will tell you which regions are "> 6".

4. May 29, 2010 #3

You mean then, that there is no solid proof for the inequality but only graphic procedures?

How about the inequality[tex]x^3y+yx^3>10[/tex] can we use graphic procedures??

5. May 29, 2010 #4

uart

Science Advisor

No that's not what Halls said. He found the boundary which precisely identifies the region of the x,y plane you are looking for. Graphing it is optional (though very helpful in my opinion).

For x>0 it reduces to the union of :

[tex]
    y > \frac{-x^2 + \sqrt{x^4+ 24x}}{2x}
    [/tex]

and

[tex]
    y < \frac{-x^2 - \sqrt{x^4+ 24x}}{2x}
    [/tex]

Last edited: May 29, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook