Proving x^4 + 1 > x^9 + x with x <= 1

• Thread starter KeynesianDude
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if x4+1 > x9+x, then x≤1 by using algebraic manipulation and factoring. It is determined that if x = 1 or x > 1, the inequality does not hold, but if 0 < x < 1 or x < 0, the inequality does hold.
KeynesianDude

Homework Statement

Let x[tex]\in[/tex][tex]\textbf{R}[/tex]. Prove that if x4+1 > x9+x , then x[tex]\leq[/tex]1

Homework Equations

[above]

The Attempt at a Solution

Sort of clueless on this one. My intuition tells me I should algebraically rearrange the equation such that 1 is on one side of the inequality. I also considered factoring out an x.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this will help you get started.
x4 + 1 > x9 + x
<==> x9 - x4 + x - 1 < 0
<==> (x - 1)(x8 + x7 + x6 +x5 + x4 + 1) < 0

I got this factorization by using synthetic division.

If x = 1, the product is zero, so the inequality doesn't hold. If x > 1, both factors are positive, so the inequality again doesn't hold.

Can you say anything about the product if 0 < x < 1?

The inequality holds if x = 0. Can you say something about the product if x < 0?

1. What is the significance of the inequality X^4 + 1 > X^9 + X?

The inequality X^4 + 1 > X^9 + X is significant because it represents a relationship between two polynomials. It states that the sum of the fourth power of X and 1 is greater than the sum of the ninth power of X and X. This inequality can be used to solve mathematical problems and make predictions in various fields of science.

2. Why is it important to specify that X<=1?

It is important to specify that X<=1 in this inequality because it is a necessary condition for the inequality to be true. If X is greater than 1, then the inequality does not hold. Therefore, this restriction helps to limit the possible solutions and make the inequality more useful in solving problems.

3. How can this inequality be used in real-world applications?

This inequality can be used in various real-world applications such as economics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to analyze the growth of populations or the behavior of certain physical phenomena. It can also be used to make predictions about the outcome of certain experiments or systems.

4. Can the inequality be solved algebraically?

Yes, the inequality can be solved algebraically by manipulating the terms and using algebraic rules and properties. However, the solution may not be a precise value but rather a range of values, as X is restricted to be less than or equal to 1.

5. How does this inequality relate to other mathematical concepts?

This inequality relates to other mathematical concepts such as polynomial functions, inequalities, and algebraic manipulation. It can also be used in conjunction with other mathematical concepts to solve more complex problems or make more accurate predictions.