What is the connection between velocity and maximum height?

• Thread starter NINHARDCOREFAN
  • Start date
In summary: So in summary, In summary, you are trying to find the stone's height at a certain point, but are getting an error because you are not solving for t, but for the stone's velocity. You need to set the stone's velocity equal to 0 and solve for its height.
NINHARDCOREFAN
For problem 11(please see the pdf file), I did this:
0 = 54 - 10t
t=5.51

x = 54*5.51-9.8*5.51(squared)
x = 148.8

What did I do wrong?

Note:
V= Vi + GT
X= Xi + Vi*T+.5*G*T(squared)

Attachments

• hw.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 245
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mistake

I meant 0 = 54-9.8T

Always keep your units in your calculations. It makes it easier to troubleshoot.

Originally posted by NINHARDCOREFAN
For problem 11(please see the pdf file), I did this:
0 = 54 - 10t
t=5.51

Initial velocity is not 54 m/s, but it washes out in this part, because you know both velocities and can subtract them.

x = 54*5.51-XXX*9.8*5.512
x = 148.8

What did I do wrong?

The initial velocity does not wash in this equation, and you missed a 1/2 term in the acceleration portion.

yeah, .5*108=54. I didn't forget the 1/2. I don't understand when you say, you have to subract both velocities, because if you do that you get the same velocity

Originally posted by NINHARDCOREFAN
V= Vi + GT
X= Xi + Vi*T+.5*G*T2

0 = 54 - 10t
t=5.51

x = 54*5.51-9.8*5.512

Look again, carefully NIN.

54m/s = 108m/s - 9.8m/s2*t

The two like terms can be subtracted, giving you what you got for the first line.

0 = 54m/s - 9.8m/s2*t

That doesn't mean that the initial velocity is now 54m/s.

For the second line, the 1/2 term is not on the velocity portion, it's on the acceleration portion!

x = 0m + (108m/s * 5.51s) + (1/2 * 9.8m/s2 * t2)

<i>The initial velocity does not wash in this equation, and you missed a 1/2 term in the acceleration portion.</i>

so I just use the original velocity? I meant to put 1/2 in the equation, it was a typo.

Yep, that's it.

If you think to calculus, the x= equation is merely the integral of the first equation. Since the Vi term is a constant, it just gets a t added to it, but it doesn't change itself.

Thanks a lot.

Another question, for problem 13(please see the pdf file) what do i do? I'm getting 0 as an answer
21.6(squared)= 16.2m/s(squared)-2*9.8m/s(x-10.4m)

The stone will go up as long as it's velocity is positive, come down when it's velocity is negative. It will be at it's highest point when it's velocity is 0.
Solve your velocity equation (that you got earlier) equal to 0 to find t when that happens, then plug that t into your height function.

Since velocity is the derivative of height, this is the same as the more general calculus rule: to find max or min of a function, set it's derivative equal to 0.

1. What is the value of X in the equation?

The value of X is 1,020.99.

2. How did you calculate the value of X?

The value of X was calculated by following the order of operations in the equation: first multiplying 54 by 5.51, then subtracting 9.8 multiplied by 5.51 squared.

3. What is the purpose of using "squared" in the equation?

The use of "squared" in the equation indicates that the number 5.51 is being multiplied by itself, resulting in 30.3601. This value is then used in the equation to calculate X.

4. Can the equation be simplified?

Yes, the equation can be simplified to X = 300.45 - 302.2961, which further simplifies to X = -1.8561. However, for the sake of precision and accuracy, it is better to leave the equation in its original form.

5. How is this equation relevant in science?

This equation is relevant in science as it represents a mathematical calculation that may be used in various scientific fields, such as physics or engineering, to solve for a specific variable or value. It demonstrates the use of basic mathematical operations and the order in which they should be performed.