Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: X an y components of a vector

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

what are the x and y components of a vector a in the xy plane if its direction is 210(degrees) counterclockwise from the positive direction of the x axis and its magnitude is 14 m.

2. Relevant equations

vector is in the third quadrant with an angle of 30(degrees)

3. The attempt at a solution

i got the angle to be 30(degrees) so i just did

14sin30 for the x component = 7.0
    14cos30 for the y component = 12.1

should they both be negative since there in the third quadrant or do the negatives cancel to get a positive.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Negatives cancel only when you multiply them. Since you aren't multiplying here, both parts are negative.

4. Sep 8, 2010 #3
    would my answers be correct then

x = -7.0

y= -12.1

5. Sep 8, 2010 #4

Char. Limit

Gold Member

That seems right, yes.

Although, if significant figures were important, the y component might have to be rounded... I'm not sure how important they are here.

6. Sep 8, 2010 #5
    14.cos 30=x . if it is 30 degree to x (210), x have to be bigger than y. (to correct)

7. Sep 8, 2010 #6
    well if its 210(degrees) counterclockwise then wouldnt the angle be 30(degrees) sin 210-180 = 30 degrees

8. Sep 8, 2010 #7
    why would x be cos and not y. if the vector is in the third quadrant and cos is adjacent/hypotenuse then adjacent would be x so the only side left would be y which you would be solving for.

9. Sep 9, 2010 #8
    anybody please

10. Sep 9, 2010 #9

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean...

If you mean that the x component should correspond to the cosine, this is because the cosine of the angle measures the length of the adjacent side to the angle, in this case, the x-axis.

11. Sep 9, 2010 #10
    ok i got it thanks.

14cos30 = -12.1 x-component
    14sin30 = -7.0 y-component

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook