1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: X an y components of a vector

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

what are the x and y components of a vector a in the xy plane if its direction is 210(degrees) counterclockwise from the positive direction of the x axis and its magnitude is 14 m.

2. Relevant equations

vector is in the third quadrant with an angle of 30(degrees)

3. The attempt at a solution

i got the angle to be 30(degrees) so i just did

14sin30 for the x component = 7.0
    14cos30 for the y component = 12.1

should they both be negative since there in the third quadrant or do the negatives cancel to get a positive.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Negatives cancel only when you multiply them. Since you aren't multiplying here, both parts are negative.

4. Sep 8, 2010 #3
    would my answers be correct then

x = -7.0

y= -12.1

5. Sep 8, 2010 #4

Char. Limit

Gold Member

That seems right, yes.

Although, if significant figures were important, the y component might have to be rounded... I'm not sure how important they are here.

6. Sep 8, 2010 #5
    14.cos 30=x . if it is 30 degree to x (210), x have to be bigger than y. (to correct)

7. Sep 8, 2010 #6
    well if its 210(degrees) counterclockwise then wouldnt the angle be 30(degrees) sin 210-180 = 30 degrees

8. Sep 8, 2010 #7
    why would x be cos and not y. if the vector is in the third quadrant and cos is adjacent/hypotenuse then adjacent would be x so the only side left would be y which you would be solving for.

9. Sep 9, 2010 #8
    anybody please

10. Sep 9, 2010 #9

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean...

If you mean that the x component should correspond to the cosine, this is because the cosine of the angle measures the length of the adjacent side to the angle, in this case, the x-axis.

11. Sep 9, 2010 #10
    ok i got it thanks.

14cos30 = -12.1 x-component
    14sin30 = -7.0 y-component

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook