1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

|x| and [x] differentiability

1. Dec 28, 2011 #1
    Are |x| and [x] differentiable anywhere? If so, what're their derivatives?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2011 #2
    Um...just about everywhere.
    Take f(x) = |x| for 0 < x < ∞. Now, what's its derivative? (you should be able to figure this out)
    Is this a homework question?

4. Dec 28, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[x], in particular, (I assume you mean either the "floor" or "ceiling" function) is constant for any non-integer x.

5. Dec 28, 2011 #4
    I understand that the graph of |x| has got a cusp at 0, so that you can't draw a tangent there, and so itsn't differentiable at 0. I also understand that [x] (I meant the greatest integer function)isn't continuous at integral values, and so it isn't differentiable for integer values of x.

What I don't understand is the following statement made by one of my online friends: " gif is not diff at terminal points and modulus function at zero, but at other points gif gives 0 and mod gives mod x divided by x". Can anyone make sense of this? "gif" means greatest integer function.

6. Dec 28, 2011 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As Number Nine asked, what is the derivative of |x| for x>0? For x<0?

7. Dec 28, 2011 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The gif is constant between integers, so its derivative is 0 there. At integers it jumps, so there is no derivative.

|x| has derivative 1 for x > 0 and -1 for x < 0, this can be written as x/|x| for x ≠ 0.

8. Dec 28, 2011 #7
    Oh, I'm sorry I missed that question. For x>0, derivative of |x| is 1, and for x<0, derivative of |x| is -1.

Now I get it! Thanks everyone!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook