X direction and -X direction

• Thread starter azila
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, to have a net electric field of 50.0 N/C in the +x direction, q2 must have a positive charge and a magnitude of 100 nC. To have a net electric field of 50.0 N/C in the -x direction, q2 must have a negative charge and a magnitude of 100 nC.
azila

Homework Statement

A negative point charge q1 = -4.00 nC is on the x-axis at x = 0.60 m. A second point charge q2 is on the x-axis at x=-1.20 m.

What must the sign and magnitude of q2 be for the net electric field at the origin to be 50.0 N/C in the +x direction be?

What must the sign and magnitude of q2 be for the net electric field at the origin to be 50.0 N/C in the -x direction be?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law
E = q1 + q2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, i got the part when it is in the + x direction but how would i do it for the - x direction? I was doing 50 = 100-q2, but i don't think it will work?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the sites, which I understand. But I know how to get the electric force in the +x direction but not in the -x direction. Could I do that to make it go in the -x direction, the charge of q1 could be +4.00 nC since electric field lines go away from positive charges? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Since q1 have negative charge, it will attract a positive charge and repel a positive charge. Since q1 is to the right of q2 ( 0.6> -1.2) an attraction, toward q1, will be "in the positive direction" (from -1.2 toward +0.6) while a repulsion, away from q1, will be "in the negative direction" (from 0.6 toward -1.2).

1. What is the difference between X direction and -X direction?

X direction and -X direction are two opposite directions on a Cartesian coordinate system. In the X direction, the values increase from left to right, while in the -X direction, the values decrease from right to left. This means that X direction and -X direction are mirror images of each other.

2. How are X direction and -X direction represented in vector notation?

In vector notation, X direction is represented by a positive unit vector, usually denoted as i . On the other hand, -X direction is represented by a negative unit vector, usually denoted as -i . This notation helps to indicate the direction and magnitude of a vector.

3. Can X direction and -X direction be used interchangeably?

No, X direction and -X direction cannot be used interchangeably. They have different meanings and represent opposite directions. Using them interchangeably can lead to errors and incorrect calculations.

4. How is the direction of a force related to X direction and -X direction?

In physics, the direction of a force can be described using X direction and -X direction. If a force is acting towards the right, it is in the X direction. Conversely, if a force is acting towards the left, it is in the -X direction. This helps to determine the net force acting on an object.

5. Is there a specific convention for labeling X direction and -X direction?

Yes, there is a convention for labeling X direction and -X direction. In most cases, the positive direction is labeled as X direction, while the negative direction is labeled as -X direction. This convention is used to maintain consistency in scientific calculations and experiments.