1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X in terms of a

1. Jun 29, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    I have a problem with the following problem. We have to write x in terms of a.

[tex]x^2=y+a[/tex]
    [tex]y^2=z+a[/tex]
    [tex]z^2=x+a[/tex]

I have done some work but all I got is eighth degree polinomial and there is no easy wayof solving it in terms of a as far as I know. This is what I have

[tex]((x^2-a^2)^2-a)^2=x[/tex]

Any help is appreciated

Cheers,
    Can

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That does not look quite right

[tex] x^2 - a = y [/tex]
    [tex] y^2 - a = z [/tex]
    [tex] z^2 - a = x [/tex]

[tex] \left( \left[ x^2 - a \right ]^2 - a \right )^2 - a = x \ \ \ \ ??? [/tex]

4. Jun 29, 2005 #3
    Ummm, yes that's what I have but it seems I have written it wrong. I should have 8 roots x in terms of a in this case but I can only think of newton's method to find those. That is not a very good idea actually...

5. Jun 29, 2005 #4
    Nice question,

Think about using quadratic formula with x in terms of z and a.

6. Jun 29, 2005 #5

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2 of the roots are simple quadratic roots but the other 6 can not be simplified any further than they are roots of an akward 6th degree polynomial.

7. Jun 30, 2005 #6
    Do you mean something like this? English is not my native tongue so I have a little difficulty with mathematical terms. this is what I have now

[tex]x^2+x-\sqrt (z+a) -z^2=0 [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?