1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X = n*cos(90-360/n)

1. Nov 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given x=n*cos(90-360/n), express n in terms of x

2. Relevant equations
    <no relevant equation since it's pure maths>

3. The attempt at a solution
    All I can say is that the result is one of those functions, whose proper name I do not remember, with multiple n values corresponding to one x value. Not sure how to elegantly report that and this is mainly why I asked.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't see that there will be multiple n values for a given x. Looking at n=1, 2, 3.... x increases monotonically (and converges to a limit). On the other hand i would think it impossible to write n as a function of x in closed form.

4. Nov 25, 2015 #3
    Can you answer the question?

5. Nov 25, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, as I said, I see no way to get n as a function of x in closed form. Is this the complete statement of the problem?

6. Nov 26, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think the "result" involves one of those functions whose name you forget; it is true that the equation itself (NOT the solution) does involve the so-called "sinc" function. Using radians instead of degrees to represent angles, your equation is
    [tex] x = n \,\cos \left(\frac{\pi}{2} - \frac{2 \pi}{n} \right). [/tex]
    Using ##\cos(\pi/2 - \theta) = \sin(\theta)##, this becomes
    [tex] y = \frac{\sin(v)}{v}, [/tex]
    where
    [tex] y = \frac{x}{2 \pi}, \: \text{and} \; v = \frac{2 \pi}{n} [/tex]

The function ##\sin(\theta)/ \theta## occurs frequently in applications, so has been given a name: ##\text{sinc}(\theta) = \sin( \theta)/\theta##. So, with ##y## and ##v## as defined above, your equation is ##\text{sinc}(v) = y##. You can see plots of the sinc funcion in http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SincFunction.html or
    http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/teach_res/mp/doc/math_sinc_function.pdf .

However, you should realize that there are no known formulas for the solution of that equation, so you cannot hope to express n in terms of x as any kind of known function. All you can do is solve it numerically for various values of x and maybe plot or tabulate the numerical results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted