Expressing n in Terms of x: Solving for n in the Equation x=n*cos(90-360/n)

• Thread starter 24forChromium
  • Start date
In summary, the equation has a function associated with it whose name is unknown, but which is a sinc function. There is no known way to express n in terms of x, so the equation must be solved numerically.
24forChromium

Homework Statement

Given x=n*cos(90-360/n), express n in terms of x

Homework Equations

<no relevant equation since it's pure maths>

The Attempt at a Solution

All I can say is that the result is one of those functions, whose proper name I do not remember, with multiple n values corresponding to one x value. Not sure how to elegantly report that and this is mainly why I asked.

Physics news on Phys.org
24forChromium said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

All I can say is that the result is one of those functions, whose proper name I do not remember, with multiple n values corresponding to one x value. Not sure how to elegantly report that and this is mainly why I asked.
I don't see that there will be multiple n values for a given x. Looking at n=1, 2, 3... x increases monotonically (and converges to a limit). On the other hand i would think it impossible to write n as a function of x in closed form.

haruspex said:
I don't see that there will be multiple n values for a given x. Looking at n=1, 2, 3... x increases monotonically (and converges to a limit). On the other hand i would think it impossible to write n as a function of x in closed form.
Can you answer the question?

24forChromium said:
Can you answer the question?
No, as I said, I see no way to get n as a function of x in closed form. Is this the complete statement of the problem?

24forChromium said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I don't think the "result" involves one of those functions whose name you forget; it is true that the equation itself (NOT the solution) does involve the so-called "sinc" function. Using radians instead of degrees to represent angles, your equation is
[tex] x = n \,\cos \left(\frac{\pi}{2} - \frac{2 \pi}{n} \right). [/tex]
Using ##\cos(\pi/2 - \theta) = \sin(\theta)##, this becomes
[tex] y = \frac{\sin(v)}{v}, [/tex]
where
[tex] y = \frac{x}{2 \pi}, \: \text{and} \; v = \frac{2 \pi}{n} [/tex]

The function ##\sin(\theta)/ \theta## occurs frequently in applications, so has been given a name: ##\text{sinc}(\theta) = \sin( \theta)/\theta##. So, with ##y## and ##v## as defined above, your equation is ##\text{sinc}(v) = y##. You can see plots of the sinc funcion in http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SincFunction.html or
http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/teach_res/mp/doc/math_sinc_function.pdf .

However, you should realize that there are no known formulas for the solution of that equation, so you cannot hope to express n in terms of x as any kind of known function. All you can do is solve it numerically for various values of x and maybe plot or tabulate the numerical results.

1. How do I solve for n in the equation x=n*cos(90-360/n)?

To solve for n in this equation, you can use algebraic manipulation and the trigonometric identity cos(90-360/n) = sin(360/n). This will give you the equation x=n*sin(360/n). You can then use numerical or graphical methods to find the value of n that satisfies this equation.

2. What does it mean to express n in terms of x?

Expressing n in terms of x means finding an equation or formula that represents n in relation to x. In this case, we are solving for n in the equation x=n*cos(90-360/n), which means finding an expression for n that is equivalent to this equation.

3. Can this equation be solved for n analytically?

Yes, this equation can be solved for n analytically using the steps mentioned in the first question. However, depending on the values of x, it may not always be possible to find an exact solution and numerical or graphical methods may be needed.

4. Why is n multiplied by cos(90-360/n) in the equation?

The equation x=n*cos(90-360/n) is derived from the definition of cosine, which states that cos(90-360/n) = x/n. By multiplying both sides by n, we get the equation x=n*cos(90-360/n).

5. Are there any real-life applications of this equation?

Yes, this equation can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to solve problems involving angles and trigonometric functions. For example, it can be used to calculate the angular velocity of a rotating object or the position of a celestial body.