X=r(cos u+i sin u) and y=t(cos v + i sin v)

• Thread starter raiders06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the modulus and amplitude of the product of two complex numbers is the product and sum of their individual moduli and amplitudes, respectively. The approach involves converting the numbers to polar coordinates and using trigonometric identities, such as Euler's formula, to make the necessary substitutions. The key is to understand that the modulus is the length of the complex number when represented in the polar form, and the amplitude is the direction or angle. By multiplying the numbers and adding their angles, the result is equivalent to multiplying the lengths and adding the angles in the polar form.
raiders06
I need help getting this one started... PLEASE...

Given x=r(cos U + i sin u) and y =t(cos v + i sin v):
Prove tha tthe modulus of (xy) is the product of their moduli and that the amplitude of (xy) is the sum of their amplitudes.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really know the answer to this question out-right, though it seems like that they are taking x,y in the complex field to a polar coordinate mapping. When you multiply two elements in this way the length's are a product and the angles add together which can be verified by straight multiplication of the variables xy.

hince: xy = rt(cos(u+v) + isin(u+v))

Graphically this looks like x/y lengths multiplied with their angles added together.

That should give you a good insight into what the modulus/length and the amplitude/direction should be.

Edit:

Also: when proving the xy = "" portion I posted, it may be helpful to look up trig identities for cos(x+y) and sin(x+y) as it will allow you to make needed substitutions :P.

Maybe use Euler's formlua?

The modulus of a complex number is given by multiplying the number by its complex conjugate and taking the square root. So:

[tex]|x|^2 = x\overline{x}[/tex]
[tex]|y|^2 = y\overline{y}[/tex]

[tex]|xy|^2 = xy\overline{xy}=x\overline{x}y\overline{y}=|x|^2|y|^2[/tex]

This works because complex multiplication is commutative(order doesn't matter). Now just take the square root of both sides and you're done.

1. What is the meaning of the variables in the complex number equation: X=r(cos u+i sin u) and y=t(cos v + i sin v)?

The variables r and t represent the magnitude or length of the complex number, while the variables u and v represent the angle or direction in the complex plane.

2. How do you convert a complex number in the form X=r(cos u+i sin u) and y=t(cos v + i sin v) to rectangular form?

To convert to rectangular form, use the formula X = r cos(u) + i r sin(u) and y = t cos(v) + i t sin(v).

3. What is the significance of the angle u and v in the complex number equation: X=r(cos u+i sin u) and y=t(cos v + i sin v)?

The angle u and v represent the direction or phase of the complex number in the complex plane. They play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of the number in mathematical operations.

4. How are the complex numbers X=r(cos u+i sin u) and y=t(cos v + i sin v) represented geometrically?

These complex numbers are represented as points in the complex plane, with r and t representing the distance from the origin and u and v representing the angles from the positive real axis.

5. What are the practical applications of using complex numbers in the form X=r(cos u+i sin u) and y=t(cos v + i sin v)?

Complex numbers have many practical applications, including in electrical engineering, physics, and signal processing. They are also used in various areas of mathematics, such as in solving differential equations and in the study of fractals and chaos theory.