Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X-ray attenuation question

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    Hi all,
    using the mass attenuation coefficient and density, one can determine the percentage of X-rays absorbed in a material for a given depth, using the Beer-Lambert Law. e.g. The intensity of a beam of 8 keV X-rays will be reduced by 68% after passing through 70 microns of Silicon. From my understanding, this formula is used to determine the absorption of a beam of X-ray photons. e.g. in the example i just gave, if 1,000 8 keV photons are incident on the surface of the silicon, only 320 will be present after 70 microns. My question is, how do i determine the probability of where a single photon will be absorbed? If there is only a single 8 keV photon incident on the silicon, at which depth will it be absorbed?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2
    The best you can do is plot a probability curve. There are two mass attenuation coefficients, one representing the absorption (removal) of the incident photon, and the other representing the absorption (deposition) of the energy contained in the incident photon, which includes Compton scattered photons, secondary x-rays, etc.

Bob S

[added] See http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/XrayMassCoef/ElemTab/z14.html

For 8 KeV, the two absorption coefficients in silicon are

8.00 KeV 6.468E+01 and 6.313E+01 cm2 per gram

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    Thanks Bob !!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook