1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I X-ray beam filtering

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    In mammography, an Mo anode is used because it produces characteristic X-rays at about 17-20 keV.

Apparently, the ideal filter is also Mo. Why is this? Surely all the x-rays would just be re-absorbed by the filter?
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2016 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How thick is the filter?

Typically, the mechanism for x-ray production in such devices is via two different processes: core-level excitation (i.e. K-edge excitation) and bremsstrahlung process. So already, via the latter, the energy may not match the Mo states. But even via the former, if the Mo filter is thin enough, the absorption isn't 100%.

Zz.

4. Apr 21, 2016 #3
    Well exactly. if we consider the brehmsstrahlung radiation, the probability of absorption is less than k-edge x-rays so they should be absorbed less? no? hence the k-edge x-rays are absorbed MORE than the other radiation?

5. Apr 21, 2016 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That will be my guess, but again, I don't know the setup and the nature of this "filter".

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted