1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X-ray:characterisation of a spectra

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    Hello,
    I've simulated the output of a x-ray tube using a software (spekcalc). In my simulation the energy range is 17-170 keV, the air thickness is 1m and there is 1.5 mm of Al. The mA value is 1 (default value).
    After the estimation I obtained a characteristic spectra: in y there is the numper of photons [keV cm^2 mAs^-1 @ 1 meter] while in x there are the energy range (17-170 keV). The mean energy = 61 keV, bremsstrahlung = 273 μGy/mAs @1 meter and characteristic energy = 26 μGy/mAs @1 meter.

I know how to estimate the mean energy using the spectra data, but I don't know how the bremsst and the characteristic energy is estimated. Any help?

Moreover, I'd like to know the values at 1.5m of air, so I wanted to use the inverse square law(I1/I2=D1^2/D2^2, where I1 and I2 are the intensity values at D1 and D2 respectively)..can I apply this to bremmst and characteristic energy?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted