1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X-Ray Diffraction HWK Problems

1. Feb 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. The intensities of Kalpha and Kbeta of a Cu X-ray tube have a ratio of about 10/1. It is desirable to increase the ratio to 1000/1 by using a Ni foil as a critical absorber. What should be the thickness of the Ni foil? How much attenuation in intensity has the Cu Kalpha suffered?

2. Suppose FeAl (i.e. Fe50Al50) exists in two forms: ordered phase and disordered phase. In the ordered phase, Fe and Al form two interpenetrating sc sublattices. Each al atom is surrounded by 8 Fe atoms at the eight corners of a cube, and vice versa. In the disordered phase, Fe and Al randomly occupy the 8 corners and the body center of a cube. What would be x-ray diffraction patterns for the two phases?

2. Relevant equations
    1. I = Ioexp[u*x] = Ioexp[(u/rho)*rho*x]
    where I = attenuation of a photon intensity through a material.
    u = absorption coefficient (in cm^-1) and (1/u) = one absorption length.
    rho = density of the material (usually it is not u but u/rho (in units of cm^2/g that is tabulated.
    1 barn = 10^-24 cm^2

2. Have no clue!

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I have no clue how to even do this. I can't find any equations relating the filter thickness to the information given. Any help is greatly appreciated! I only know we are supposed to use the attenuation equation for the second part of question 1. Thanks in Advance!

2. I also have no clue how do this! Please help! Thanks in Advance!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?