1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X-ray diffraction

1. Feb 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It's got a diagram in it so I have just attached a picture of it.

2. Relevant equations

nλ=2dsinθ

3. The attempt at a solution

I've really got no idea how to proceed with this one. I think you have to consider the effect of the thin film as well. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

From a quick reading up on the subject (of which previously I was blissfully ignorant), I would say that the incoming and outgoing beams must make the same angle to the planes in the crystal. Since it's powdered, the planes will be at every angle, but diffraction is only going to observed in those crystals with planes at the bisecting angle. So given the geometry of the source, sample and observed interference, you can deduce the angle of the crystal planes responsible.
    Having done that, you can compute the plane spacing.

4. Feb 11, 2014 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

3. But you can make some assumptions. You have a ##\lambda##, there are 2 ##\theta##s. If n= 1, what is d for each of these ?

Once again, even quick replies cross. But there is a starting point.

5. Feb 11, 2014 #4
    Thanks a lot guys! I've got it now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted