X-ray emission from a klystron tube

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of building a low power klystron and the potential side effect of x-ray emission. The speaker has questions about the safety and shielding methods for x-rays. It is mentioned that klystrons can emit x-rays, but the operating voltages for low power klystrons are too low to cause harmful radiation. However, it is noted that klystrons come in various sizes and higher powered ones can emit x-rays. The speaker is reminded that building a klystron requires a certain level of knowledge and caution to avoid harm.
rpayne88
So, I was thinking about building a low power klystron (around 5W.) I know this involves making an electron gun and electron guns can emit x-rays. I have a few questions:
1. Will 5W produce x-rays?
2. If so, what is a safe dosage of x-rays?
3. How can I shield myself and others from the x-rays produced?

The x-rays are an unwanted side effect.

Science news on Phys.org
rpayne88 said:
So, I was thinking about building a low power klystron (around 5W.) I know this involves making an electron gun and electron guns can emit x-rays. I have a few questions:
1. Will 5W produce x-rays?

The x-rays are an unwanted side effect.
The operating voltages of a klystron are too low to cause X-rays.
To build any sort of electron tube is extremely difficult, and a klystron would be impossible for you to make. Even good commercial ones are touchy to get going.

tech99 said:
The operating voltages of a klystron are too low to cause X-rays.

This is not true. Klystrons are RF sources for accelerating structures in particle accelerators. If you look at any of them at such a facility, they are heavily shielded.

To build any sort of electron tube is extremely difficult, and a klystron would be impossible for you to make. Even good commercial ones are touchy to get going.

That, I can definitely agree on.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is not true. Klystrons are RF sources for accelerating structures in particle accelerators. If you look at any of them at such a facility, they are heavily shielded.
That, I can definitely agree on.

Zz.
Of course, klystrons come in all sizes. But for instance, the very old 723A/B reflex klystron, which gives a watt or two of RF, uses ordinary receiver type power supplies, less than 1 kV and no X-Ray precautions were ever required.

tech99 said:
Of course, klystrons come in all sizes. But for instance, the very old 723A/B reflex klystron, which gives a watt or two of RF, uses ordinary receiver type power supplies, less than 1 kV and no X-Ray precautions were ever required.

I didn't say they aren't. But your statement made it sounds like klystrons physically are too low-powered to produce harmful radiation. This is false.

Zz.

tech99 said:
Actually the voltages are rather lower than my memory was telling me - data sheet at this URL.
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0592.htm

tech99 said:
Actually the voltages are rather lower than my memory was telling me - data sheet at this URL.
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0592.htm
Thank you for telling me about high power klystrons. I do remember now that they are used for TV transmitters. But I do remember that they were not originally able to provide the high power required for airborne radar.

rpayne88 said:
If you have to ask those questions, you clearly do not have the required knowledge to build such it safely. We won't help you to harm yourself here.

Likes davenn

1. What is X-ray emission from a klystron tube?

X-ray emission from a klystron tube is a type of radiation that is produced when high-energy electrons are accelerated and collide with a metal target within the klystron tube.

2. How is X-ray emission from a klystron tube used?

X-ray emission from a klystron tube is commonly used in medical imaging, such as X-rays and CT scans, as well as in industrial applications for material inspection and analysis.

3. Is X-ray emission from a klystron tube safe?

X-ray emission from a klystron tube can be harmful if proper safety precautions are not taken. However, it can be safely used in controlled environments with appropriate shielding and monitoring.

4. How does X-ray emission from a klystron tube differ from other types of X-ray sources?

X-ray emission from a klystron tube is a type of "hard" X-ray source, meaning it produces high-energy X-rays. Other sources, such as X-ray tubes, produce lower-energy "soft" X-rays.

5. What is the lifespan of a klystron tube used for X-ray emission?

The lifespan of a klystron tube used for X-ray emission can vary depending on usage and maintenance, but on average it can last for several years before needing to be replaced.