Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X-Ray from Dentist's

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I have the opportunity to rent an apartment directly above a dental office. I'm wondering about the disadvantages to doing that.

In particular, I'm wondering if the radiation from their X-Ray machine can travel into my apartment.

I would appreciate your insight.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2
    I don't know what the planning laws in the states are, but in the UK a X-ray room must pass a X-ray penetration test. If the room has windows they must be fitted with triple leaded plate glass. My local dentist has flats above the surgery and I don't think there are any problems. The size of NOX bottles are also restricted.
    I remember as a kid that shoe shops in the UK had X-ray machines to make sure the shoes were a good fit. I remember wriggling my toes whilst looking into the screen with awe! Anyone else remember these or are you all young whipper-snappers?

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The dental X-ray is very low intensity and narrowly focused - at the patient. It is unlikely that X-rays would scatter into the apartment below. I would expect a normal, background radiation level in the apartment.

The X-ray machine would be used intermittently, and not during the night or off-hours, so I don't think there is any concerns to worry about.

5. Mar 11, 2013 #4
    Screams of "tormented victims"? :)

Every time I think about dentists' work, I imagine how nearly every day they have to deal with patients who are hysterically afraid of dental medicine. I asked about that, and doctor confirmed that at least 20% of patients are like that.

6. Mar 12, 2013 #5
    I remember those X-ray machines as well - scary to think of them now!

7. Mar 16, 2013 #6

jimgraber

Gold Member

Yes, I wiggled my toes way too many times, because it was so much fun, and I ain't got foot cancer yet, almost seventy years later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook