X-ray tube used for cancer therapy

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an x-ray tube used for cancer therapy and the rate of flow of water needed to prevent the temperature from rising above 50 degrees celsius. The conversation also touches on the concept of temperature rise and the equation to calculate it, as well as the importance of understanding the role of electricity in the problem. Ultimately, the solution involves using the formula Q=m*c*Δθ to determine the necessary rate of flow.
jpnnngtn
Heres the problem:
An x-ray tube used for cancer therapy operates at 4.0 MV, with a beam current of 25 mA striking the metal target.Nearly all of this power is transferred to a stream of water flowing through the holes drilled in the target. What rate of flow, in Kg/sec, is needed if the temperature rise of the water is not to exceed 50 degrees celsius.

I/m thinking power = 4000 V * .025 A = 100 watts

then the specific heat of water = 4186 j but this problem doesent give an initial temperature of the water.. Am I right so far?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If it doesn't give you a starting condition, assume a worst case scenario and design from that.

Also, is it MegaVolts or milliVolts? You've got the equation set up for kiloVolts.

im confused about worst case scenario. I don't understand what to do...

Originally posted by jpnnngtn
Heres the problem:
(snip)temperature rise of the water is not to exceed 50 degrees celsius.

(snip)this problem doesent give an initial temperature of the water..

How do you define "temperature rise?"

I guess I define tempwerature rise as a positive change in temperature. ...right?

Precisely - it's the change in temperature, and hence energy of the water that is significant. So you don't need to know the initial temperature of the water.

Now that that is established, I am stil confused on exactly what I need to do... How to find the flow of water in Kg/sec that is..Where would I start. The electricity part is not a problem. it is just implementing it.

50*4186*rate (kg/s)=100KW, hence
rate=0.477783

The "electricity part" IS important- it tells you how much energy goes into the system each second. Now, how much energy can REMAIN in the system (enough to raise the temperature of the water 50 degrees) and how has to leave the system? How fast does the water have to go out to in order to remove that energy.

To Sonty: Thanks for helping but just giving the answer doesn't help as much as (1) hints, (2) sometimes the solution given in detail with explanation.

I thought he got the energy almost right and I guess he should know the

Q=m*c* &Delta * &theta

formula. What was making him insecure is that "rate" thing which you get from the realtion between energy and power.

1. What is an X-ray tube used for cancer therapy?

An X-ray tube used for cancer therapy is a medical device that generates high-energy X-rays to target and destroy cancer cells. It is a vital component of radiation therapy, a common treatment for cancer.

2. How does an X-ray tube work for cancer therapy?

An X-ray tube works by accelerating electrons using a high voltage and directing them onto a metal target, typically made of tungsten. When the electrons collide with the target, they produce high-energy X-rays that can penetrate the body and target cancer cells.

3. Is an X-ray tube safe for cancer therapy?

Yes, an X-ray tube used for cancer therapy is considered safe. While radiation can have potential risks, the amount of radiation used in cancer therapy is carefully controlled and targeted to minimize harm to healthy tissue. The benefits of using an X-ray tube for cancer therapy far outweigh the potential risks.

4. What types of cancers can be treated with an X-ray tube?

An X-ray tube can be used to treat a wide range of cancers, including but not limited to lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, and brain tumors. It can also be used for palliative care to alleviate symptoms in advanced cancer cases.

5. Are there any side effects of using an X-ray tube for cancer therapy?

As with any medical procedure, there may be some side effects of using an X-ray tube for cancer therapy, such as skin irritation, fatigue, and temporary hair loss. However, these side effects are typically temporary and can be managed with proper medical care.