Calculate X-Ray Wavelength for Lead Target

In summary, the target used in a medical research X-ray unit is lead with an atomic number of 82. Knowing the voltage used to accelerate the electrons, the wavelength of the Kα line can be calculated using the equations for kinetic energy, potential energy, and energy. The Kα line represents the energy difference between atomic electron energy levels.
conniechiwa

Homework Statement

The tube in a medical research X-ray unit uses lead (Z=82) as it's target. Assume the electrons are accelerated through the voltage calculated in part (b). What is the wavelength of the Kα line?

Homework Equations

KE=-13.6 ev ((Z-1)squared) / (1squared)
KE=PE=VQ
E=QV
λ=hc/E

The Attempt at a Solution

KE=-13.6 ev ((Z-1)squared) / (1squared)
KE =-13.6 ev ((82-1)squared)/ 1 squared)
KE=89229.6 ev

KE=PE=QV
89229.6=(1.602E-19 J/ev)V
V=89229.6 V

E=QV
E=(1.602E-19 C)(89229.6V)
E=1.429E-14 J

λ=hc/E
λ=((6.63E-34 J*s)(3E8 m/s))/(1.429E-14 J)
λ=1.3856E-11 m = 0.013856 nm

I'm not sure what's wrong... I correctly solved for KE and V, but I can't seem to solve for λ.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure where part b is, but think about the energies.

The accelerated electron must have enough energy to dislodge a K-electron from the lead atom.

Then another orbital electron will fall from a higher state to the spot in the K-shell, so the X-ray energy represents a difference in energy levels of atomic electrons. What's the significance of Kα?

Oh okay I got it now. Thanks!

1. What is the formula for calculating X-Ray wavelength for a lead target?

The formula for calculating X-Ray wavelength for a lead target is λ = hc/E, where λ is the wavelength in meters, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds), c is the speed of light (3 x 10^8 meters per second), and E is the energy of the X-Ray in joules.

2. How does the atomic number of lead affect the X-Ray wavelength?

The atomic number of lead, which is 82, directly affects the X-Ray wavelength. As the atomic number increases, the X-Ray wavelength decreases. This is because as the atomic number increases, the electrons in the lead atoms become more tightly bound, requiring more energy to excite them and produce X-Rays with shorter wavelengths.

3. Can X-Ray wavelength for a lead target be measured experimentally?

Yes, X-Ray wavelength for a lead target can be measured experimentally using techniques such as X-Ray diffraction or X-Ray spectroscopy. These methods involve directing X-Rays at a lead target and analyzing the resulting patterns or spectra to determine the wavelength.

4. What is the typical range of X-Ray wavelengths produced by a lead target?

The typical range of X-Ray wavelengths produced by a lead target is between 0.01 to 10 nanometers. However, this range can vary depending on the energy of the X-Rays and the thickness of the lead target.

5. How can the X-Ray wavelength for a lead target be used in scientific research?

The X-Ray wavelength for a lead target can be used in various scientific research applications, such as X-Ray crystallography to determine the atomic structure of molecules, X-Ray fluorescence to analyze the elemental composition of materials, and X-Ray imaging for medical and industrial purposes. By accurately calculating the X-Ray wavelength, scientists can design experiments and interpret results more effectively.