Can Moseley's Law accurately calculate X-ray parameters?

In summary, Vivek is looking for a website that explains the use of Moseley's Law for calculating parameters for characteristic X-ray spectra, specifically K_{\alpha} lines and their compliance with Bohr's formula. He has searched on Google but has not found anything comprehensive enough. He is eagerly awaiting a reply and thanks the expert for providing two useful websites on the topic.
maverick280857
Hi

I am looking for a website which explains the use of Moseley's Law for calculating parameters for characteristic X-ray spectra (in particular [itex]K_{\alpha}[/itex] lines and the compliance with Bohr's formula (modified).

Searched google but didn't find anything comprehensive enough.

Eagerly awaiting a reply...

Thanks and cheers
Vivek

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure you can google just as well as I, but here are two sites that look useful:
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wittke/Microprobe/Xray-MoseleysLaw.html [Broken]

Good chapter on X-rays: http://epmalab.uoregon.edu/pdfs/X_natur3%20_Chap%203_.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Doc I really appreciate it. Sorry for the delayed response though.

Cheers
vivek

1. What are X-rays?

X-rays are a type of high-energy electromagnetic radiation that has a shorter wavelength than visible light. They were discovered in 1895 by German physicist Wilhelm Röntgen and have since been used in various fields such as medicine, industry, and scientific research.

2. How are X-rays produced?

X-rays are produced when fast-moving electrons collide with a metal target, usually made of tungsten, in a process called bremsstrahlung (German for "braking radiation"). The electrons lose energy and emit X-rays as a result of the collisions.

3. What is Moseley's Law?

Moseley's Law, also known as the Moseley's Law of X-ray spectra, is a scientific law that describes the relationship between the frequencies of characteristic X-rays and the atomic numbers of the elements. It was discovered by English physicist Henry Moseley in 1913 and helped to organize the periodic table of elements.

4. How is Moseley's Law used in scientific research?

Moseley's Law is used in scientific research to identify and study the properties of different elements. By analyzing the characteristic X-ray spectra emitted by elements, scientists can determine their atomic numbers and use this information to understand their chemical and physical properties.

5. Are there any limitations to Moseley's Law?

Yes, there are some limitations to Moseley's Law. It only applies to elements with atomic numbers greater than 30 and does not account for elements with unstable nuclei. Additionally, it does not provide information about the arrangement of electrons within an atom, which is important in understanding the chemical properties of an element.