1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X^t(AA^t)X ≥ 0 for all x∈R^n?

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the quadratic form [tex]h(x) = X^t(AA^t)X[/tex] is greater than or equal to 0 for all [tex]x[/tex] in [tex]R^n[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since [tex](AA^t)^t = (A^t)^t A^t = AA^t[/tex], [tex]AA^t[/tex] can (according to the spectral theorem) be diagonalized in an orthonormal eigenvector basis. Assuming [tex]X = TX'[/tex] to be the relation between the bases, it follows that (since T is orthogonal):

[tex]h(x) = X^t(AA^t)X = (TX')^t(AA^t)(TX') = (X'^t T^t) (AA^t)(TX') = X'^t (T^{-1} AA^t T)X' = X'^t D X' = \mu_1 x_1'^2 + \mu_2 x_2'^2 + ... \mu_n x_n'^2[/tex]

The problem is thus equivalent to showing that [tex]\mu_1 \ge 0, \mu_2 \ge 0, ... , \mu_n \ge 0[/tex]. I haven't gotten anywhere with that approach.

I attempted to work directly on [tex]h(x) = X^t(AA^t)X[/tex] as well by trying to complete the square for 2x2, 3x3, ... matrices [tex]AA^t[/tex] (i.e. by using induction), and the proof would, if some relevant transformation is valid and all eigenvalues are ≥0, follow from Sylvester's law of inertia. I didn't get anywhere with that approach either.

Ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2
    I don't know most of the methods you used in your solution attempt, however...

Rewrite [tex]h(x)[/tex] in terms of [tex]Y = A^tX[/tex]

4. Mar 4, 2010 #3
    Hint: Try rewriting [tex] X^t (AA^t) X [/tex] as an inner product of something with itself.

Alternatively, if you want to explicitly prove that all eigenvalues are positive, consider an eigenvector [tex] y [/tex], with [tex] AA^t y = \lambda y [/tex]. What's [tex] (AA^t y) \cdot y [/tex]? Now apply a basic result about the transpose to get what you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook