Can x = t - sin(t) be expressed in terms of t?

• I
  • Thread starter AnotherParadox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, it appears that the parametric curve can be solved for ##t##, but this is only true if there is no parameter ##t## involved.
AnotherParadox
Sorry title should say x=t-sin(t) in terms of t...Is it possible? I get close.. I do t = x + sin(t) and use the relation again to get an infinite regression

T = x + sin(x +sin(x + sin(x + sin(x... ))))
I'm not sure if it has a real limit or simplification ... anyone know?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no closed form you are looking for. What is it all about and where are ##x## and ##t## from?

fresh_42 said:
There is no closed form you are looking for. What is it all about and where are ##x## and ##t## from?
I also have y=1-cos(t).. it's a position vector for a Cal III course practice. I'm able to graph in parametric but rectangular has me stumped since I can only put it in terms of x and not y. I have the problem done and everything I'm just curious about this particular aspect

So, if I got you right (and made no mistake), you have a parametric curve ##t \mapsto \begin{pmatrix} t - \sin t \\ 1 -\cos t \end{pmatrix}##, i.e. a map ##I \rightarrow \mathbb{K}^2## where ##I## is a real interval and ##\mathbb{K}## either the real or complex numbers. Why do you want to solve this for ##t##?
Of course you could always write ##t = \arccos(1-y) \; , \; x= \arccos(1-y) - \sqrt{2y - y^2}## to get rid of the parameter ##t## and deal with the domains, where this is true. But why?

Yea you got it. I was able to write in terms of x too but not y which is what I need to graph it properly without parametric which is sort of the reason. The real reason is because I wanted to learn something new but it seems like my suspicion is being confirmed that it can't really be done unless there is some crazy math out there we don't know about to reduce or simplify...

1. What is the meaning of the equation X = t - sin(t) in terms of t?

The equation X = t - sin(t) represents a mathematical relationship between the variable X and the variable t, where X is equal to t subtracted by the sine of t. In other words, the value of X is determined by the value of t and the sine of t.

2. How can the equation X = t - sin(t) be graphed in terms of t?

The equation X = t - sin(t) can be graphed in terms of t by plotting points on a Cartesian coordinate system. The x-axis represents the values of t and the y-axis represents the values of X. Each point on the graph represents a specific value of t and the corresponding value of X calculated using the equation.

3. What is the domain and range of the equation X = t - sin(t)?

The domain of the equation X = t - sin(t) is all real numbers, since t can take on any value. The range of the equation is also all real numbers, as the sine function can produce any value between -1 and 1.

4. How can the equation X = t - sin(t) be solved for a specific value of t?

To solve the equation X = t - sin(t) for a specific value of t, simply substitute the value of t into the equation and calculate the corresponding value of X. For example, if t = 2, then X = 2 - sin(2) = 2 - 0.909297 = 1.090703.

5. What are some real-world applications of the equation X = t - sin(t)?

The equation X = t - sin(t) has many real-world applications, such as in physics for modeling harmonic motion or in engineering for designing oscillating systems. It can also be used in finance to model price fluctuations or in biology to describe the behavior of biological rhythms.