X versus t graph, simple kinematics?

In summary, the object speeds up. from 50 to 90 it slows down. from 90 to 105 it is at rest. 105> it speeds up... ?yeahh, some of us were confused too, and did what the instructions on the pic show, but we're supposed to graph an x versus t graph of that picture showing the velocity, so it looks somewhat like an exponential growth graph...that's all I can get, just that it curves up from 0 but then I know there are other dips and peaks, and a level off since the velocity goes to zero, but I don't know how to draw itwhat does it ask you to find? accelaration or distance?
WillParadigm
can someone help me graph this?

http://www.physics.drexel.edu/courses/Physics-152/probgraph.gif

I can understand that, since the velocity is changing, the x versus t graph should not be a straight line, that it is curved, but that's about all I can figure out.

I don't have a textbook, because the bookstore is backordered on all of them, plus this was not covered in the first lecture, so all I can figure out is that it's some curve...

Please help me... :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
from 0 to 50 the object speeds up. from 50 to 90 it slows down. from 90 to 105 it is at rest. 105> it speeds up... ?

yeahh, some of us were confused too, and did what the instructions on the pic show, but we're supposed to graph an x versus t graph of that picture showing the velocity, so it looks somewhat like an exponential growth graph...

that's all I can get, just that it curves up from 0 but then I know there are other dips and peaks, and a level off since the velocity goes to zero, but I don't know how to draw it

what does it ask you to find? accelaration or distance?

accelaration is speed/ time and distance is speed * time..

the question was this exactly...

"7 Chapter 2, Question 22,and plot an x vs t graph of the motion."

so I mean, the directions aren't that helpful, plot an x vs t graph of the motion

the book I have does have a drawing of a x versus t graph, but it derives it from already having acceleration... and used the equation

x=Initial Velocity x Time + 1/2 x Acceleration x Time^2

ok so it is distance vs time

distance = speed * time

from that graph speed = y-axis and time= x-axis.

wait, now you lost me... how does that help me graph something in

x intervals of Time t (s) and y intervals of Position x (m)

WillParadigm said:
the book I have does have a drawing of a x versus t graph, but it derives it from already having acceleration... and used the equation

x=Initial Velocity x Time + 1/2 x Acceleration x Time^2

yes that is the equation for distance...

from the graph above acceleration= [V(final)-V(initial)]/[t(final)-t(initial)]
in other words a= (V2-V1)/(t2-t1)
initial velocity= 15m/s

just graph velocity*time from the given graph above

so it's (10-15)/(120-0) to get acceleration of -1/24

and I just graph

15x + (1/2)(-1/24)x^2? all I got was a straight line

couldn't the final velocity be any point along the line in the above graph? see that's what's confusing me the most, that there aren't any concrete numbers that I can see to use

I mean, for the first part of the graph, I can see yes, the equation should be

y=1/2x+15

because the slope is 1/2 and picking a point (10,20) plugging that in, got me the y intercept... but that just happened to work out

but that y intercept equation, I don't see how it helps, it just gives me an equation for a line I already saw, but not even the whole line...

d= v0xt-0.5 x a x t is good for uniform acceleration

so use d= (v2-v1)* 0.5 (t2-t1)

so
v2=20
v1=12
t2=10
t1=0
d1=0.5*(20-12)*(10-0)=40

so you graph (10,40)

next

v2=25
v1=20
t2=20
t1=10
d2=0.5*(25-20)*(20-10)=25
total distance= d1+d2=40+25=65

graph (20,65)

and so on...

I hope this is right otherwise I'll go insane.

Attachments

• acceleration.gif
    acceleration.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 786
Last edited:

1. What is an "X versus t graph" in simple kinematics?

An "X versus t graph" is a visual representation of the position of an object over time. The horizontal axis (x-axis) represents time, while the vertical axis (y-axis) represents the position of the object. This type of graph is commonly used in kinematics to study the motion of objects.

2. How is the slope of an X versus t graph related to the velocity of an object?

The slope of an X versus t graph is equal to the velocity of the object. This means that the steeper the slope, the higher the velocity of the object. A horizontal line on the graph indicates that the object is not moving (zero velocity), while a curved line indicates that the object is accelerating.

3. Can an X versus t graph be used to determine the acceleration of an object?

Yes, an X versus t graph can be used to determine the acceleration of an object. The acceleration is represented by the curvature of the graph. A more curved line indicates a higher acceleration, while a straight line indicates constant velocity (zero acceleration).

4. What is the difference between a positive and negative slope on an X versus t graph?

A positive slope on an X versus t graph indicates that the object is moving in the positive direction (towards the right), while a negative slope indicates that the object is moving in the negative direction (towards the left). This direction is determined by the orientation of the x-axis.

5. How can you determine the displacement of an object from an X versus t graph?

The displacement of an object can be determined by calculating the area under the curve on an X versus t graph. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller sections and calculating the area of each section, then adding them together. This will give you the total displacement of the object over the given time period.