Find X in Y=X+e^X: Log It & Solve

• Thread starter Gelsamel Epsilon
  • Start date
In summary, the equation that implicitly defines X as a function of Y is Y = X + e^X. It is not always possible to explicitly invert a function, but we can use differentiation to find a differential or integral equation for X(Y) or Y(X). In this case, we can use the LambertW function to find a solution for X(Y) in terms of Y.
Gelsamel Epsilon
How do I find X with respect to Y if;

Y = X + e^X?

If I log it then I get Log Y = Log X + X, if this is the correct step how do I isolise X from here?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Taking the log of the right-hand side is not log x + x, but instead log(x + e^x).

****, stupid mistake of mine :-).

I still can't see that helping me at all though :-(.

It's not always possible to explicitely invert a function.

Last edited:
So I can implicitly get one?

y' = 1+e^x
y'' = e^x

y - y'' = x?

The equation that implicitly defines X as a function of Y is the original equation. Y = X + e^X. The fact that Y(X) is in bijection with its image assures you that X(Y) exists.

It's not the case with say Y(X)=X² because X(Y) would be 2-valued: ±[itex]\sqrt{Y}[/itex].

But your idea with differentiating bth sides was good. However, I think it's more interesting to acknowledge X(Y) exists, and then differentiate the equation wrt Y! I get

[tex]1=\frac{dX}{dY}+\frac{dX}{dY}e^{X(Y)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dX}{dY}=\frac{1}{1+e^{X(Y)}}[/tex]

This way you have a differential equation for X(Y), or inversely, an integral equation.

[tex]X(Y)=\int\frac{1}{1+e^{X(Y)}}dY[/tex]

I don't know if something can be done with those, but there's probably a way to at least extract some information or approximation. For instance, we know from Y(X) that when Y is around 1, Y is small, so you can keep only the first few terms in the series of exp(X(Y)) and integrate to get an approximation of the form of X(Y) in the nbhd of 1.

Gelsamel Epsilon said:
How do I find X with respect to Y if

what on Earth does that even mean?

I hope this doesn't get into semantics.

May we know where this problem of yours comes from?P.S.This is nonsense, don't pay attention:

quasar987 said:
For instance, we know from Y(X) that when Y is around 1, Y is small, so you can keep only the first few terms in the series of exp(X(Y)) and integrate to get an approximation of the form of X(Y) in the nbhd of 1.

Got to choose from 5 different questions to do animation type exercises in Maple. Chose number 5 but we had problems restricting the domain in the 2nd function to the time in the first function. The first function was in the form of y = t +e^t. We decided it was too hard and started on a different, easier, question. But it still bugged me that we couldn't get a function for t(y). Obviously we weren't supposed to do it like that, good idea we chose an easier one then eh? :-).

y=x + e^x
dy/dx=1+e^x
dx/dy = 1/(1+e^x)

1. Subt z=e^x to get : y = z + ln(z)

2. Exponential each side to get : e^y = z e^z

3. From the definition of the LambertW function : z = LambertW( e^y)

4. So x = ln( LambertW( e^y ) )

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of finding "X" in the equation Y=X+e^X?

The purpose of finding "X" in this equation is to solve for the value of "X" that makes the equation true. This value is known as the solution or root of the equation.

2. How do you log and solve the equation Y=X+e^X?

To log and solve this equation, you first need to take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation. This will result in ln(Y) = ln(X+e^X). Then, using the properties of logarithms, you can rewrite the equation as ln(Y) = ln(X) + ln(e^X). From there, you can solve for "X" by isolating it on one side of the equation.

3. What is the significance of the "e" in the equation Y=X+e^X?

The "e" in this equation represents Euler's number, which is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828. This number is commonly used in exponential functions and has many applications in mathematics and science.

4. Can this equation have more than one solution for "X"?

Yes, this equation can have more than one solution for "X". In fact, it is possible to have an infinite number of solutions depending on the value of "Y". This is because the exponential function e^X grows very quickly, resulting in multiple intersections with the linear function X+e^X.

5. How can I check if my solution for "X" is correct?

To check if your solution for "X" is correct, you can plug the value of "X" into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If the equation is true, then your solution for "X" is correct. You can also graph the equation to visually see where the solution lies on the graph.