1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X & Y Normal Distribution

1. Aug 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

X refers to score distribution in Math and Y refers to score distribution in Stat in a certain degree course exam. It is known that X~N(mean = 62, sigma=7) while Y~N(mean = 68, sigma=10). If X and Y are independent, find (i) P[X+Y>120]; (ii) P[X<Y]; (iii) P[X+Y>140]; (iv)P[100 < X+Y < 150].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

P(X+Y>120)...

So I have to combine X & Y into one Norm Distribution by find there combined E(x) & V(x)

E(X+Y)=E(X)+E(Y)=62+68=130

V(X+Y)=V(X)+V(Y)=7^2 + 10^2 = 149, Standard Dev = sqrt(149)

So where Z = X + Y > 120, Z~N(130,sqrt(149))

P(X+Y>120) = P(Z>120)=1-PHI((130-120)/sqrt(149))

Is this correct so far....

P(X<Y)=P(X-Y<0)

E(X-Y)=E(X)-E(Y) = 62-68=-6

V(X-Y) = V(X)+V(Y)=sqrt(149)

W~N(-6,sqrt(149))

P(X-Y<0)=P(W<0)=PHI((-6-0)\sqrt(149))

How does this look. The rest are basically the same I think if I got these two conceptualy correct. any issues?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2013 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

I haven't checked down to the arithmetic level but the approach looks good. One thing that helped me keep things straight notationally was this: When dealing with the first part, where you are working with the sum of two random variables, let [itex] S = X + Y [/itex]. Then the work you have shows that [itex] S [/itex] has a normal distribution with a particular mean and standard deviation, and I just found it easier to write
    [itex] P(S > 120) [/itex] instead of the way you had it. Similar for the difference.

After a final glance I do see one item I believe you should reconsider. Do you REALLY want to write
    [tex]
    V(X-Y) = V(X) + V(Y) = sqrt(149)
    [/tex]

(I am pointing my comment at what you have after the second equal sign) - remember in those steps you are finding a variance.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
  4. Aug 13, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equation ##V(X-Y) = V(X) + V(y)## is true if X and Y are independent, so what he wrote is correct. In fact, if ##a## and ##b## are constants, we have
    [tex] V(aX + bY) = a^2 V(X) + b^2 V(Y)[/tex] for independent (or uncorrelated) X and Y, whether normally-distributed or not. It is a general result.

5. Aug 14, 2013 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

I am aware of all this. You missed my point, however: it is likely my comment wasn't clear. The OP is attempting to calculate the variance of X - Y: the written equation was (my comments added)
    [tex]
    V(X-Y) = \underbrace{V(X) + V(Y)}_{\text{Okay here}} = \overbrace{\text{sqrt}(149)}^{\text{My concern}}
    [/tex]

For emphasis, compare the ending of the above work to the ending of the line in which the variance of [itex] V(X + Y) [/itex] was correctly calculated.

Marginally related comment: apologies for missing the fact that I screwed up a tag in one of my earlier posts.

6. Aug 14, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just to be clear: you (correctly) want him to write '149' instead of 'sqrt(149)'. To my shame, I missed that the first time around!

7. Aug 14, 2013 #6

statdad

Homework Helper

"Just to be clear: you (correctly) want him to write '149' instead of 'sqrt(149)'. To my shame, I missed that the first time around!"

No big deal. As I noted, I was not entirely clear in my original note. That comes, I am afraid, from reviewing student papers and wanting to point out issues for them without giving the whole thing away.

8. Aug 14, 2013 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree with the 'not giving away' part, but he did already have the correct answer---or at least, the correct numerical inputs---so I did not feel guilty about laying out some more detail.

9. Aug 14, 2013 #8

statdad

Homework Helper

Probably true - actually, just plain "yup" on that. Finding a way to guide someone along giving support while pointing out subtle, tertiary level errors, is always a difficult task for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted