1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X86 Assembly Parameters

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    1. I need help understanding how to read the parameters from the stack and not from anywhere else. In addition, what is difference between reading from the stack and somewhere else?

For example, if the parameters had this:
    logicUnit(unsigned long int value, unsigned long int flags, unsigned char *result )
    How would I read the parameters from the stack?

3. I'm thinking that I have to store it in the registers but that seems like I'm calling it from somewhere else.
    i.e. mov eax, value
    mov ebx, flags
    mov ecx, result

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There's not a simple answer here without knowing the calling convention (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_calling_conventions) in use by the compiler. I'm assuming that the declaration of the logicUnit function you show is from code written in C or C++. The parameters to a function can be pushed onto the stack in right-to-left order (cdecl or stdcall convention) or left-to-right order (pascal convention) or passed in registers. In addition, a particular convention specifies whether the caller or callee (the function being called) is responsible for cleaning up the stack before the function returns.

4. Nov 10, 2012 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

In 32 bit mode, the stack segment register ss and the stack pointer esp are used for stack operations like push or pop. In 64 bit mode, most of the segment registers are not used, except fs and gs are still available, normally used for operating system type stuff. You didn't mention if you're working in 32 bit or 64 bit mode. In 64 bit mode, push and pop use rsp. Register esp / rsp can't be used for addressing, and register ebp / rbp are used instead. If ebp is used, the processor defaults to using the stack segement regiser ss.

As Mark44 mentioned, the calling conventions can vary. Microsoft compliers have 3 calling conventions in 32 bit mode for "C" type programs (there's a 4th convention for C++ class member functions, but these are the main 3):

__cdecl.htm

__stdcall.htm

__fastcall.htm

Microsoft only has one calling convention for 64 bit mode:

x64_parameters

Assuming 32 bit __cdecl type calling convention, then the calling code looks like this:

Code (Text):

push    result
            push    flags
            push    value
            call    logicUnit
            add     esp,12

The typical __cdecl function code will look like this:

Code (Text):

push    ebp             ;save ebp      
            mov     ebp,esp         ;set ebp=esp
            sub     esp,...         ;"allocate" space for locals
    ;
    ;                               ;[ebp+ 8] = last parameter = value
    ;                               ;[ebp+12] = next to last parameter = flags
    ;       ...
            mov     esp,ebp         ;restore esp
            pop     ebp             ;restore ebp
            ret                     ;return

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  5. Nov 12, 2012 #4
    I'm working with 32 bits.

Thanks for the links!

Would it be something like this:
    push flags
    push value
    push eax
    push ebx
    push ecx
    Then store the flags/value into one of the registers or would that be considered not calling from the stack? If so, is the CALL function the method I should be using instead?

6. Nov 12, 2012 #5

rcgldr

Homework Helper

There's no push eax ... push ecx. With __cdecl, all parameters are on the stack. If any registers need to be saved, this is done in the called function, not in the calling code (except for the add esp,12 to restore it).

7. Nov 15, 2012 #6
    Ah I see. Thank You!! :smile: Do you know what this means:

1. and ch, 0xc0

2. and ecx, 0x01010101

I'm having a hard time with figuring out what the 0x_______ means...

8. Nov 15, 2012 #7

rcgldr

Homework Helper

The 0x... means it's a hex number, but Microsoft assemblers use 0...h instead. I don't know which assemblers allow the 0x... format.

and ch, ... is an and for bits 15->8 of the ecx register. (cl would be bits 7->0).

9. Nov 15, 2012 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The 0x prefix is notation from C, I believe.
    The early 16-bit Intel CPUs (8088, 8086, and 80186) had registers named AX, BX, CX, DX and a few others. These registers were divided into 8-bit halves, with AL, BL, CL, and DL being the lower 8 bits (bits 0 ... 7), and AH, BH, CH, and DH being the upper 8 bits (bits 8 ... 15).

10. Nov 17, 2012 #9
    Thank you!! I understand it now! :smile:

I'm not sure if you guys could help me with this problem but my Visual Studio 2012 won't run my program and keeps crashing. Do you know what I could do?

11. Nov 17, 2012 #10

rcgldr

Homework Helper

You'll probably want to run your asm program using the C language environment. You'll may also need to create a custom build step (this was needed for VS 2010 and earlier versions). Link to example source assembly code that prints the value 64 to the console window:

http://rcgldr.net/misc/xasm.zip

To create a project, start with a directory that only includes the .asm source file. Make that the project name, and create an empty win32 console project. The option for creating an "empty" project shows up on the second screen when creating the project. Once the project is created, go to project, add existing item, and click on the .asm file name to add it.

To create the custom build step, right click on the name of the asm file in the solution explorer window, then click on custom build step.

For debug build it looks like this:

ml /Zi /c /Fo$(outdir)\example.obj example.asm

For release build it looks like this:

ml /c /Fo$(outdir)\example.obj example.asm

In both cases, "outputs" of the custom build step looks like this:

$(outdir)\example.obj

If you use my example source file, the name of the file is "x.asm", so use "x" instead of "example" in the custom build steps.

12. Nov 18, 2012 #11
    Thanks! I played with my code a bit more I found where it crashes:

__declspec(naked) void
    function(unsigned long input, unsigned long *output)
    {
    __asm{
    push eax
    push ebx

mov ebx, [esp + 16]

push ebx
    call MIRROR //another function that switches a byte from 100 to 001
    pop ebx //right here is where it crashes

//some similar code as the last three lines above for other functions and each of
    //them also crash at pop ebx

pop ebx
    pop eax

ret
    }
    }
    Why would it crash when I try to pop ebx?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  13. Nov 18, 2012 #12

rcgldr

Homework Helper

What is at esp+16? Note that push eax and push ebx also subtract 8 from esp.

What does the MIRROR expect for it's parameter, a value or a pointer?

If it expexts a pointer, then you'd want:

lea ebx,[esp + 16]
    push ebx
    call MIRROR
    add esp,4 (or pop ebx)

14. Nov 18, 2012 #13
    Thanks!! I was able to figure it out. :]

I have another question:

What is the purpose of doing this?
    mov dl, 0
    rcl dl, 1

Isn't dl equal to 0000 0000? So by rotating dl to the left by one wouldn't the result still be 0000 0000?

And when you rotate does it affect any of the other bytes like the ones stored in dh and dx? I'm using 32 bits.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  15. Nov 18, 2012 #14

rcgldr

Homework Helper

It clears the lower 8 bits of edx, then rotates the carry flag into the low order bit (bit 0) of edx, and also clears the carry flag. It would provide a way to test the carry flag (and also clear the carry flag) in C without having to use more assembler code (if edx was a register based variable in C).

I'm wondering what you're trying to accomplish with this mix of C and assembly code. Are you trying to figure out the code that the compiler generates? If you want to create functions that are written in assembler, then you could use the example I created, which is main() written in assembler.

16. Nov 18, 2012 #15

Oh so wouldn't dl still be 0000 0000? Because your only rotating 0s. I'm kind of confused could you give a visual picture of what's happening?

Ah I'm actually working on a programming assignment where I have to move things around swapping bytes stuff like that. And I decided that using the rotate command seems much more efficient than shifting.

17. Nov 18, 2012 #16

rcgldr

Homework Helper

RCL is a 9 bit rotate, the 8 bits in DL and the 1 bit in the carry flag. ROL is an 8 bit rotate that doesn't involve the carry flag. Link to wiki list of X86 instructions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_instruction_listings

18. Nov 18, 2012 #17
    Ohhhh I see. Do you know why I'm getting an unhandled exception by doing this line:

mov byte ptr [ecx], ah
    pop eax

ecx is a register I use to store the value I get from ah. ah is used in another function and holds a value (something like 1000 0100). Eax then has to be popped but I want to save the value in ah so I stored it in ecx yet I'm getting an unhandled exception.

19. Nov 18, 2012 #18

rcgldr

Homework Helper

This attempts to store the contents of ah in the memory location pointed to by ecx. What you probably want is:

mov cl,ah ;save ah in cl
    pop eax ;restore eax

20. Nov 22, 2012 #19
    Ah.. Thank You!! :smile:

21. Nov 22, 2012 #20

rcgldr

Homework Helper

You could also just save all of eax by using

mov ecx,eax

then using ch later when you needed it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook