Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Xena: Warrior Princess

1. Oct 12, 2007 #1
    I just got the entire series box set for my birthday! I'm very very excited. I loved that show growing up. I feel like I've now reached a whole new level of geekdom though. This is the first television show I've ever owned on DVD. I love watching Xena kick butt, and Gabrielle is smokin'. Ooh OOh, and the Amazons rule, and the gods, I love Aphrodite, and Ares and oooh...

Anyway, wanted to share my elation...

*picks up plastic sword*
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

I LOVED THAT SHOW!!! The theme song is great.
  4. Oct 12, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

What you feel is absolutely right.
  5. Oct 12, 2007 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I seem to remember that there were really handsome centaurs on that show.
  6. Oct 12, 2007 #5

Gold Member

Don't feel too bad, Gale. I've got DVDs of all the Babylon 5 series, including the pilot and the feature-length episodes. That was the best-written sci-fi show ever, with complex characters. The special effects were great. I think a lot of that work was done here in Maine on a lash-up called a "video toaster". I don't know a lot about that, but I think it involved parallel processing on Amigas.

Geeks unite!
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  7. Oct 12, 2007 #6
    This is my favorite series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc61fG6DOL8&mode=related&search= (Intro S. 1-5)

What made Xena such a success was that it mixed action and combat with a female hero, something previously just about unseen in the adventure series genre.

I have season 3 and 4, but I will be planing on buying the rest.
  8. Oct 12, 2007 #7

Homework Helper

Women + action (hey, don't get me wrong here :rofl:) = MONEY.
  9. Oct 12, 2007 #8

Gold Member

What was that circular weapon thing she had, the one that all ways came back.
  10. Oct 12, 2007 #9

Only four people has ever been able to throw it: Xena (all three), Callisto (original), Eve (modified) and Gabrielle (modified).

The original was actually the Dark Chakram. By combining it with the Light Chakram, Xena made the modifed version, which can also be used for hand-to-hand combat. The Chakram of light is powerful enough to slay gods.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  11. Oct 12, 2007 #10
    I've got the 'Firefly' season 1 box set. Sadly, there was no season 2, which I'll never understand. Am I the only one who likes space westerns? I am a fan of all things Whedon.

I'm also collecting 'Heroes' 'Burn Notice' Torchwood' and 'Blade.' I plan on picking up 'Dexter' this weekend.

I also have a growing list of zombie flicks in my collection.

P.S. Anyone know Gabrielle Anwar and would consider passing her my number?
  12. Oct 15, 2007 #11
    Yipee! I'm not the only person who was inspired by Xena sword work.:biggrin:
  13. Oct 16, 2007 #12
    So, I'm still only on season 3, but i've been watching all the commentary and stuff too. Man, I'm so ready to kick butt. I love the humor in this show. Its such a fun show to watch, and its great to see a woman as a hero. I'm thinking about maybe watching a little Hercules, since I love Autolycus. I really love Bruce Campbell, oh and watching Ted Raimi on the commentary maded me love Joxter even more. I'm totally lovin' this!
  14. Oct 16, 2007 #13

gale -- I think you've been out-geeked :tongue: :biggrin: :wink:
  15. Oct 16, 2007 #14
    If you love Bruce Campbell then check out the tv series 'Burn Notice.' He plays a washed-up, alcoholic, free-loading spy in Miami. He has contacts in the FBI and around the city and uses them to help out his friend, another spy who recieved a burn notice and is isolated in Miami and cut off from any agencies.

Then there are a few other movies, 'Evil Dead 1&2, and Army of Darkness, Man with the Screaming Brain, and a few more I probably haven't seen yet, but will eventually.
  16. Oct 16, 2007 #15

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've got all the seasons of the X-files on video, there's nothing wrong with that :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?